Author Topic: 4th Law Question: Did Obi-One Break It?  (Read 8498 times)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Law Question: Did Obi-One Break It?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
I'm not sure a jedi could do much about an exploding heart ritual, nor an evocation that just sets their clothes on fire :)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
Wardens are, in fact, capable of throwing attacks significantly more powerful than a plasma howitzer. Real Howitzers are are only Weapon: 6 or so, Plasma ones maybe Weapon: 8. A full Warden? Weapon: 11 or 12 with Fate Points.

And Jedi precognition is in no way capable of warning them whenever they cut their hair, because someone might be grabbing it for Thaumaturgy. If it were that good, they'd never get surprised by anything, and they clearly can be. It's almost always split-second precognition, not long-term. Thaumaturgy is the definition of long-term.

Or there's the possibility of attacks that aren't helped by seeing them coming, suvch as raising the internal temperature of the Jedi's body with raw will until they pass out. Seeing that one coming doesn't really help.

Andd finally, what about the behavior of the Wardens leads you to believe they're incapable of being tactically innovative? Ramirez's combat prowess and style? Morgan's use of nuclear weapons? They're somewhat conservative politically, but that's not the same thing as being incapable of creativity.

I'll admit that Wardens would likely lose in hand-to-hand, but a Warden with any brains at all wouldn't be in hand-to-hand.

Now in terms of specific characters, I'll admit you probably need a Senior Council member to take on Yoda, but most of the rest? No match for a Warden with prep-time (though they could probably take an unprepared one).

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »
Besides, "Hexus" beats "Lightsaber".

...I can't believe I'm arguing about this  :P :P ;D
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »
Besides, "Hexus" beats "Lightsaber".

Oooh, an excellent point I'd completely missed. Never mind the above, Wardens would destroy Jedi hand to hand, since they can casually, even accidentally, make lightsabers cease to function.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52:54 PM »
dude, like all the wizards most powerful people could destroy the star wars universe just by standing there.
although the sith and jedi do not have to stop using the force, they have no mana bar so to speak
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Tbora

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »
I would like to pit Ebenezer McCoy with Blackstaff against all jedi's everywhere both sith and regular goody two shoe variety.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »
it would be 3oo, McCoy would be the spartans, and harry the guy he sends away but then returns to kill everything. And only darth vader, yoda and palptine together would be able to take down McCoy, who then uses his death spell and kills everyone, unless they take the head

Offline Jaxom Faux

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
I'm SOOOOO not getting into this other than 2 things.

1. why all the Jedi hate?

2. Jedi master = senior council member if you know anything in depth about starwars.

Jedi have more juice somewhat less versatility (they can't make something from nothing like wizzies). jedi are basically focused practitioners with biomancy, psychic abilities and evocation.

also hexing lightsabers, yes. but harder than you think since they're actually very simple weapons infused with force power. so think a super efficient flashlight that they can (conceivably) force fix if you hexed them anyways.

dammit, that was more than two things... but you sith won't tempt me with divulging the full extent of my nerd lore.

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
I'm SOOOOO not getting into this other than 2 things.

1. why all the Jedi hate?

2. Jedi master = senior council member if you know anything in depth about starwars.

Jedi have more juice somewhat less versatility (they can't make something from nothing like wizzies). jedi are basically focused practitioners with biomancy, psychic abilities and evocation.

also hexing lightsabers, yes. but harder than you think since they're actually very simple weapons infused with force power. so think a super efficient flashlight that they can (conceivably) force fix if you hexed them anyways.

dammit, that was more than two things... but you sith won't tempt me with divulging the full extent of my nerd lore.
I sympathize.  I tried, and still stick by my position, but ultimately gave up trying to point out why.

Offline Scapey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
I'm posting this from a nook, so i won't be correcting any typos. But if Mccoy drops a satalite on a jedi, i doubt he'll dodge fast enough.  Wizards ftw.

Offline Jaxom Faux

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
since a Jedi can yank a star destroyer out of orbit a satellite is nothing to worry about. Mccoy can redirect it to land on him but he'll just force push it into a nearby ocean or catch it and put it back in orbit.

Edit: dang you wily Sith..... made me post.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:10:29 PM by Jaxom Faux »

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
I would have to say the jedi mind trick is a blatent violation of the laws of magic...someone needs to get the wardens.

Harry states in PG that this is where people usually start breaking the Laws.   Not by killing people but by using the old jedi mind trick.   Thats how the korean child warlock at the beginning of PG started out.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »
see the reason no body likes Jedi, is because sith are way more awesome.
See, the day that the exile, reven, yoda, McCoy, injun joe, and eldest brother gruff fight, ill be happy.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
A Jedi Master would sense Light Side and a Dresdenverse wizard would use the Sight and they'd team up to kick some Sith and Black Council ass.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
A Jedi Master would sense Light Side and a Dresdenverse wizard would use the Sight and they'd team up to kick some Sith and Black Council ass.

Except the jedi mind trick (a traditionally "light side" power) breaks the 4th law which they would be none to happy about.  I'm pretty sure a warden would see the "these are not the droids you are looking for" and out comes the sword and the choppity choppity stabbity stabbity.  No questions asked.  No explanations, just "o shit he just mindcontrolled that guy" chop chop chop.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight