Author Topic: Suppression Spell  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Fedifensor

• Participant
    • View Profile
Suppression Spell
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:39:16 AM »
Is there an example anywhere of the suppression spell Harry used on the Larry Fowler show?

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Suppression Spell
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »
I don't think so, but off the top of my head I'd say it's a Thaumaturgical Maneuver that put's the Suppressed Aura Aspect on the caster.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:12:44 AM »
Is there an example anywhere of the suppression spell Harry used on the Larry Fowler show?

Alertniatively it could be a very weak thamaturgical block against hexing on the wizard. Or even an evocation one (because harry comments he had to focus on it to keep it working)
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:41:01 AM »
Sure it could be a spell or it could be that the GM offered him a compel on his Wizard PI high concept aspect to hex the hell out of all the broadcasting technology and ruin his chances of getting his message out on the air, and Harry's player (Some Jim guy) bought it off with a precious fate point and explained it as Harry using a suppression spell to keep his hexing under wraps. 

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
My current character took it as a Rote, basically just a maneuver that gives him the Aspect "Total Control" and the GM doesn't compel my "Computer Wiz(ard)" aspect unless direct magic is involved.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
maybe harry's player jim spent a lot of fate points to negate the hexing compels. "and there i was, popping my precious fate points like candy... "

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
maybe harry's player jim spent a lot of fate points to negate the hexing compels. "and there i was, popping my precious fate points like candy... "

Harry didn't buy off any compels in that scene. He accepted a compel and fried the whole set. Had he bought off a compel he wouldn't have hexed the equipment. Once a player pays off a compel that's it. The GM can't just keep making the same compel over and over.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »
You're totally right Will I had forgotten how that scene ended.

In that case I would look at it as an escalating compel, GM compelled the Hex, Jim tried to buy off the compel, GM pressed the issue and offered another Fate Point, etc. until the player relented and finally blew up the studio electronics and got a bucket load of precious juicy Fate Points.

But your also right that once a player has bought off a compel the GM can't keep trying to compel the same thing over and over again in the same scene.

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
Depends on how evil the GM is feeling ;D
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »
I'm not exactly sure who was the benefactor of that hex.  While it did cause complications for Harry, I could totally see Harry's player asking for that result.  That guy totally deserved it, so I think it's a wash.