Author Topic: Unsponsored Magic with Sponsored Magic flavor--how to handle?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
So, how would you represent a being who has Sponsored Magic-style effects, but no sponsor? The example I'm thinking of would be a Nephilim, a creature of angelic bloodline (and thus, nature) but no direct angelic sponsorship, but I an imagine others.

My inclination is to charge for Sponsored Magic as normal, but remove debt and super-charging mechanics, as well as agenda limitations--essentially, instead of taking pseduo-Channeling, and pseduo-Ritual, the character actually takes Channeling and Ritual with the "element" of the Sponsored Magic type. Of course, in our Soulfire example, I'd still tack on a bonus refresh in cost.

Thoughts?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Unsponsored Magic with Sponsored Magic flavor--how to handle?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
Well, Soulfire specifically, doesn't have a 'Sponsor' per se (for all that it's bestowed by an Archangel) it's a permanent enhancement of one's capabilities...the magic itself just has an agenda of sorts.

As do Places of Power for that matter.

So I'd just treat it as normal Sponsored Magic with the magic itself as the Sponsor.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:57:20 AM »
See Kemlerite Necromancy.

It is sponsored by the power source, not by a specific entity.

Sponsor debt is thus to your inner nature.

You would need to define that both in terms of how it makes you act, and what it lets you do.

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:06:03 AM »
Hmm. This mostly makes sense. I have a little difficulty fitting it onto Soulfire, though--that seems to be much more of a methodology or technique than a force capable of influencing thought, at least from how I've been reading it. I really can't see how infusing your soul into your magic would influence your behavior towards an agenda--if anything, I would be inclined to say it makes you more likely to act exactly as you are normally inclined to--it seems like a positive feedback loop of self-image.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:11:59 AM »
And how is that a problem? The point of Sponsor Debt (mechanically) is that it's a Compel you get nothing for. It could easily be a Compel that fits one of your existing Aspects...

And thematically, your magic reinforcing who you are, removing that little bit of choice and free will as you become slightly more a slave to your own nature, is perfectly fun and appropriate.

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
Oooh, good call. I like your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
And how is that a problem? The point of Sponsor Debt (mechanically) is that it's a Compel you get nothing for. It could easily be a Compel that fits one of your existing Aspects...

And thematically, your magic reinforcing who you are, removing that little bit of choice and free will as you become slightly more a slave to your own nature, is perfectly fun and appropriate.

Yeah, that can be hard to figure for new stuff.  I was thinking idly about this for my Son of Thor guy, but I couldn't think of what it should be compelling.  Seems easier for some things (like Soulfire or Hellfire), than other things, even if they are equally thematic.