Author Topic: Thresholds working with wards  (Read 3714 times)

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Thresholds working with wards
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:23 AM »
As I am still technically a Neophyte GM (still in the building city & characters phases of the campaign) I would be very interested in this as well.  I could see warding being easier at some locations due to familiarity (ex:  Harry Dresden is a Wizard Detective and thus should be able to invoke this aspect when casting a ward his place of business, probably to his effective Lore).

I think an example is in order, and as I am not running yet I may need to have others clarify for me a bit to make sure I get it right ...

So, let us assume Harry is trying to Ward his office (as per the TV show).  He wants the wards to last 1 month (5 shifts up from normal duration based on my calculations) and the typical such wards are Legendary [+8], therefore base 8+5 = 13 complexity.  Harry's Lore is pathetic for the job (only Good [+3]) so he has to do Preparation (research, etc).
  The first thing he does is consult with Bob, and the GM declares he will allow Jim (Harry's player) to use Bob's Superb [+5] Lore meaning his is now only shy by 8 (rather than 10 he would be without Bob).  Harry decides to use warding drapes to accent the power, and the GM decides to give him a +2 bonus for using a physical manifestation as a symbolic link.  He taps his Wizard Detective for an additional +2, ok'd by the GM as it is his place of business.  As he lives there using a hair from his head (as well as a hair from Mister, the other resident) yields a +2 symbolic link as well.  This still leaves him 2 short so he takes some paint scrapings from the door, a chip from the wall, and a couple other places for symbolic links directly of the loci / threshold itself for the final +2 needed to yield 13 effective Lore, and the GM give Jim an estimate of the additional cost and time needed to gather additional components as well (window dressing to keep it interesting.

Now he can cast the spell.  Because he is not under any pressure he can cast the spell without making rolls.  OK, neat, it happens.

In another TV episode we find Harry having symbols either carved or traced on all of the beams, etc.  Obviously he has either reconsidered and altered things such that the walls & ceiling provide permanent symbolic links for the wards themselves and the door hangings provide some other benefit such as active defenses (shocks, booby trap, etc).

After a number of years he may no longer have to consider his effective Lore and utilize Bob as it has become second nature and thus considered a given when not under stress, at least for that specific location.

What do people think?

-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician