Author Topic: character describtion  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Biffy Pyro

• Participant
    • View Profile
character describtion
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »
Do you guys include full descriptions on your character description sheets? or just tags/traits?

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: character describtion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:58:12 AM »
I personally just keep a list of tags, as a reminder to wave them every now and then. I could write a ten page biography on any of them but I don't think it'd be helpful because most of my characters tend to come to life right on the page or...just sit there like a lump no matter what I do.  :-\
Detailed character sheets really haven't been helpful for me. But some people swear by them. It just depends on your style I guess.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Biffy Pyro

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 01:03:41 AM »
i don't think i would write massive biography type things but i think i might include a basic features description, hmm

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
i use to use charecter sheets all the time but they never really helped me with anything. now i just focus on the back story of the charecter, what inspires them.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
Some people do a full on biography of their characters so that they'll know, in any given situation, which way a character will jump.
And some people don't.  It's whatever works for you.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
Some people do a full on biography of their characters so that they'll know, in any given situation, which way a character will jump.

If I knew that about the character, there'd be no motive to write the story, because the story's about finding out which way the character will jump &c.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »
If I knew that about the character, there'd be no motive to write the story, because the story's about finding out which way the character will jump &c.

Neurovore, some people write to know their characters and some know their characters to write.  Every writer is different.

Off topic for a second - you might want to check out WRITERS ON WRITING by Jon Winokur.  It's a collection of quotes about the different aspects of writing by writers.  Great fun, especially when they have at each other.  Yeouch.