Author Topic: I believe I can fly.  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I believe I can fly.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
I'm not sure it's laid out in the rules, but Evocation can do most of the other stuff a standard character can do - Attack, block and maneuver.   who's to say you can't use evocation to move?  You'd roll your discipline and then spend shifts on duration and space covered... maybe one shift to put the fragile aspect on yourself "Up up and away!"  

Yes, you might want to have another spell ready to block the damage from landing, mind you.

As I suggested, I think it would be simple to allow Evocation to make a Move action, but it would replace your regular Athletics roll, not add to it.  I would just use the Discipline roll to represent the control necessary to land correctly, with fall damage being taken as Backlash.

Does that work for you?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
As I suggested, I think it would be simple to allow Evocation to make a Move action, but it would replace your regular Athletics roll, not add to it.  I would just use the Discipline roll to represent the control necessary to land correctly, with fall damage being taken as Backlash.

Does that work for you?

It works for me, and I'd allow it in a heartbeat in my own games.

But...well, it's not flight. It's effectively a jazzed up jump or the video-game version of flight powers, only lasting seconds and ending with you on the ground again.

So it's valid, but not really what the OP was asking about.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
It works for me, and I'd allow it in a heartbeat in my own games.

But...well, it's not flight. It's effectively a jazzed up jump or the video-game version of flight powers, only lasting seconds and ending with you on the ground again.

So it's valid, but not really what the OP was asking about.

Oh sure, but you've already covered the options for permanent and semi-permanent flight well enough, I just wanted to cover how I'd do it with Evocation.

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
Evocation would be simple... remember NOTHING you make with evocation will last a whole long time. You'll always have to feed shifts of power into it.  This would work the same way!  Roll just have it be like a sprint action instead, roll evocation.  Take shifts from that to add to duration, and at least one shift to ignore earthbound borders (the FLIGHT part).  While they are in the air, just roll discipline again to feed MORE shifts of power into it.   

Mind you, after fifteen or twenty exchanges, he's going to be out of mental stress, and he's going to have taken a few consequences from all that mental stress he's taking.   He'll be wanting to land sometime soon.   It IS extended flight thought... just don't count on using it to get around airlines.  Going across town is attainable... across STATE is very much so not.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 04:12:18 AM »
The main problem is not jumping up, but landing, how would you go about that? Because calculating the exact amount of wind needed soften your fall is pretty hard, if not almost impossible.
Just use exactly the amount you took off with.  That'll be a little bit too much, but close enough.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:37 AM »
As I had stated above, evocation was not what we were going for, knowing ahead of time that simple bursts, jumps, and similar maneuvers were not in the bag.  We knew we could do that.  However, I appreciate the discussion on the finer points of the power.  Thanks.

In the end we chose to use a thaumaturgy ritual and encapsulated it in an enchanted item at full Lore strength.  We know it would have been exceedingly difficult to craft, but it was created during character creation.  The end result is a ring that grants access to the wings power for one scene per session.  We're using the wizard's base Superb Lore (+5) as the strength and counting it for his maneuverability or power in issues where such would matter, such as clearing zones, avoiding obstacles, etc.  The player chose to put two enchanted item slots into it so it has 3 uses per session.

If there's any criticism on this, I'd like to hear it.

We are going for a 10 refresh game, if that modifies any opinions on this.