Author Topic: Thalia Grace - (Percy Jackson), her shield  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thalia Grace - (Percy Jackson), her shield
« on: July 10, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Thalia Grace, from the Percy Jackson series, wields a collapsible copy of Aegis. I.E, a shield. It has a very realistic engraving of the medusa head on it. It doesn't turn anyone to stone, or anything. But, foes don't like it, meaning (to me, anyway) that it either has an intimidation attack of its own, or somehow augments Thalia's intimidation.

How would you model this aspect of the shield? Simply give it an aspect "Scary shield" which can be tagged to apply to an entire zone?

And if anyone wants to write up the shield, that would be cool too.  :)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Thalia Grace - (Percy Jackson), her shield
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
Well, assuming it's an Item of Power, and the effect is both magical and Zone Wide, it could look something like this.

Item of Power [+1] granting:
Incite Emotion (Fear) [-1]
Zone Wide (Custom power, effects everyone but the bearer in the Zone targetted, in this case the one she's in) [-2]

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
I'd agree with that whole heartedly.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »
Needs to provide armor and/or other defensive bonuses.  It is a magical SHIELD after all.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
IMO, that would fall under Is What It Is. I haven't read the series, but no mention was made of it doing anything defensive a normal shield didn't. Figure out what a shield does, and, well, it does that. That and Unbreakable should do it.

There was even a thread a while back where what a normal shield did was discussed: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18527.0.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:27:43 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
IMO, that would fall under Is What It Is. I haven't read the series, but no mention was made of it doing anything defensive a normal shield didn't. Figure out what a shield does, and, well, it does that. That and Unbreakable should do it.

There was even a thread a while back where what a normal shield did was discussed: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18527.0.html

A special defense ability that can be invoked wouldn't be out of line though.  As an unbreakable shield, it can block things that normal shields can't like Acid, fire, bullets, etc.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:38:29 PM »
Uh...one of those SWAT shields can block bullets, and probably blocks Acid or Fire as well as an unbreakable shield (it might not be good for much afterwards, but...).

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »
Uh...one of those SWAT shields can block bullets, and probably blocks Acid or Fire as well as an unbreakable shield (it might not be good for much afterwards, but...).

Bazooka blasts then, if you prefer, or sniper rounds.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:30:02 AM »
Well, assuming it's an Item of Power, and the effect is both magical and Zone Wide, it could look something like this.

Item of Power [+1] granting:
Incite Emotion (Fear) [-1]
Zone Wide (Custom power, effects everyone but the bearer in the Zone targetted, in this case the one she's in) [-2]

I've been wondering about this, does it count as breaking the fourth law if you magically make someone feel a certain emotion? I thought not at first, but there's been a few mentions of it on the forums and Your Story does specifically mention 'fear of drugs' and a WCV's ability to incite emotion. I'm not sure if using an item to break a law counts though... perhaps if you made the item yourself it would?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I've been wondering about this, does it count as breaking the fourth law if you magically make someone feel a certain emotion? I thought not at first, but there's been a few mentions of it on the forums and Your Story does specifically mention 'fear of drugs' and a WCV's ability to incite emotion. I'm not sure if using an item to break a law counts though... perhaps if you made the item yourself it would?

It's a matter of how you use that.  If you make someone afraid, for instance, you aren't enthralling them per se.  Though you could potentially use that fear (and perhaps other emotions) to condition them to obey you or do what you want and that would probably cross the line.  Molly for instance, didn't just make her friends feel fear, she made their minds cause them fear whenever they thought about doing drugs.  She altered how their brains responded to stimuli.  That's a LOT different than just making a "fear zone".

It's something like what Harry did with Toot-toot.  An overzealous Warden might decide to give you a hard time about it, but it's not breaking a law.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »

Check YS p. 241 under "Non-Spellcasting Enthrallment". In short, if you're human, the Wardens might do something about it (though I agree that only the excessive would do so in this case), but you will never recieve Lawbreaker from it.