Author Topic: The deadly toys of 21st century  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The deadly toys of 21st century
« on: July 08, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »
Hello, Hello, Come in people.
Please take your seats.
Today we are going to talk about some of the less known but deadly weapons that you can legally obtain as a civilian. However let me remind you all to keep a basic kit with you all the time. What is a basic kit? The advanced concepts change from person to person but the basics are nearly always the same.
Some Chalk
A Magic Marker
A little penknife, smaller is better.
Some lenght of string (you can get those adjustable, spring rewinding key chain things at a wal-mar for 3 bucks)
If you can operate technichal devices without too much trouble, a key-chain pin-light
A lighter. something crude like a zippo or honest to god flint things may seem better but one of those high powered, low emission cigar lighters is the best in my experience
A (cheapest) disposable plastic lighter
A fast food bag of salt or two. Preferably inside a tiny ziplock bag
A decent sized keyring

To start off the weapon parade, lets start with shotguns. Now I am sure everyone is familiar with the classic 12 gauge and those of you from rural areas sure know it's bigger brothers like 10 gauge. However, what we are going to tallk about is their little sister, the .410 bore (67,5 gauge)

The first one is (Now sadly discontinued) M.I.L.S. Thunder Five (3" long shell), the second one is Taurus Judge (2,5" long shell). These beauties are technichally pistols chambered for .45 Long Coldt rounds. The fact that they can use shotgun shells is totally unintentional ;D. They are a bit harder to use than a regular revolver and arent half as fast as a modern pistol so if you are going to be armed, be sure to get a regular gun too. And train with them. It doesn't matter if your gun can kill the prince of darkness if you can't hit him. Apply to a gunclub and train shooting.

For those of you in tight economic situations, a decent second hand .22 rimfire costs about 200 and 100 bullets cost 10 bucks. Get one and learn to shoot before you have to defend yourself for real.

A sawed off will get you in trouble with police, however these will not.
You can use rocksalt, birdshot, buckshot, beanbag and gas shells without much trouble off the shelf
Recently production of Tazer shells started, they are a bit costly but they oneshot disable any mansized flesh and bone target (without active magical defences) in one shot.
The only kind of rounds you can't use with these guns is the pyrotechnic and dragonbreath rounds. If you need to go to war then grab a couple of break action luparas, (sorry sawed offs for you heathen colonials i guess) and use them as 2 shot disposable weapons.

This is an Orion-brand single shot, breech loaded, 12 gauge flare gun. If you decide that you need to bring portable and legal fire with you, you might want to consider a flaregun. However do NOT buy this model or similar breech loaders. Sure they are more likely to operate in wilderness but in a conflict, you will need to shoot more than once eventually. Try to get a stub barreled, break action, single shot, revolver model like this;

Webley & Scott No 2 Mk 1 single shot, break action signal pistol. You can find modern remakes of such guns with a bit of time. And this is my very own

Japanese double barrel Type 90 Signal Pistol

Anyway lets look at some Innocent toys now.

Not exactly what you were thinking when you think of paintball is it? There are a lot of nasties out there that are weak to common things. A mix of Garlick drops (newage herbalists and health shops), pepper spray home defence balls, silver nytrate injected paintballs, pyro-balls (creates little flashes on impact) can turn an innocent toy to a hidden ace if things are that grim.

(And no I am not kidding you miss. That Grenade Laucher replica is really a paintball grenade launcher and it can throw 6 them about 25, 27 meters in 8 or 10 seconds)  

On a related note, if you have wiccan or chiristian friends, holy/blessed water works wonders on denizens of lower planes and some nasties like Black Court Vampires. A decent to good greade water pistol can be death incarnate for them. Same with balls filled with holy water.

However there is one thing you should always remember: Do not try stockpiling such stuff of faith. Take some with you if you need it. If it turns out that you didn't, use it soon (like 1 or 2 days at most) in a relevant act like cleaning a wound and so on. The power of it is only loaned to you so don't bve stupid.  

Water Baloons:
Speaking of civilian grenades, water baloons make excellent weapons (and tools but thats another issue)

Ahh Thunderfire and Enola Gay (Yes I know that it is a brand name for civilian grade smoke grenades. So what?)
A membership and a day a month at a local paintball club will enable you to legally obtain these babies (and the pantball materials above) and help you dispell any problems if you get a visit from the police.

My personal favorite is to get an injector and insert *bleep* or *bleep* or, if I'm really feeli,ng sadistic, a combination of *bleep* *bleep* and *bleep* to get rid of any pesky troublemaker.

Now that we are done with "basic civilian self defence" grade weapons, and no that is actually a government classification" , we can move onto some of the heavier civilian grade stuff like rifles.

This is a Russian Simonow SKS carbine. You can find cheap ass chinese clones of this rifle easyly. It comes with a bayonet and more importantly, it's most ammo is cheap steel core crap. Normally it would be a problem but when dealing with supernaturals this is much more effective. If you need to get your hands on a heavy firearm quickly, this little known gem should be among your first choices

Then there is the other end of the spectrum; armor.
As a civilian living in a capitalist country, you are free to buy most of the available models without any overt questions. There are 2 kinds of vests you can get; military surplus which is cheaper, harder and non concealable or civilian grade undervests.

Don't bother with heavy overt vests. If the bad guys see it they will go for other parts of your anotomy. The vest is there to give you one chance to soak the bad guys punishment and have him next to you so you can blow the bastard to kingdom come.

Depending on your purchase, the best civilian obtainable concealable vests are pistol proof and rifle resistant. This means a pistol round will only bruise you while rifle rounds (and shotgun slugs) will still crack or break your bones.   

Now a good vest is an expensive item, it will cost about 750 with another 500 for some ceramic plates. And you need to have an good explainable reasion to buy such potent gear. 

Lastly there are some even better and effective alternatives to vest and plate but you need a lot of cash and be a law enforcement officer at least to be eligible for such purchases. 

To be continued soon...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:14:30 PM by Nomad »
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline JG_Mage

• Conversationalist
  • "Lies. Mab cannot change who your are."
    • View Profile
Re: The deadly toys of 21st century
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
Proud of ya Nomad.  ;D

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Great stuff... gonna have to think on this a bit.  What else is out there, legal, and highly useful this way?

How about caltrops dipped in silver? Two nails, heads cut off, bent at 45 degrees and welded.  Then get a silver ingot (about $20 for an ounce - http://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver_panam.php) and melt it with a butane or acetylene torch, dip the tips (just the tips) in, and voila!  Caltrops that affect lycans for about $30.  Ok, the torch is another $10-$100 depending on how much you want to spend.

You can perform a similar procedure on a number of things, though you should expect the silvering to come off pretty easily.  Think crossbow bolts, knife blades... heck, you could have an axe where one side was regular and the other side silvered (and normally unused).

There's the old 'holy water in a water balloon' trick or similar with water guns.  There are also pistol versions of paintball guns - just remember that you need to be careful legally with anything that looks real.

*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »
Disclaimer: I know there are a lot of things that are doable, ie anarchists cookbook style but this is an open forum so please DO NOT go into detailed explanations. Just use *bleep* and *bleep* method or don't bother with it .
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »
Thank you very very much for this.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »
Sorry about that, I should have remembered it sooner.
I just realised it after going through a few (ok a lot of) things that I couldn't list on a public forum without causing trouble for the hosts.

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
Totally understood.  I think mine was clean.
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:43:56 AM »
Here I thought it was going to be about Lawn Jarts ...

although those with silver coated tips might work versus some nasties!  ;)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline EmirikolTheChaotic

• Lurker
  • In umbris potestas est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:20:04 AM »
If you like the idea of the Taurus Judge revolver, but desire a more manly chambering, Taurus is soon to release the "Raging Judge" which is chambered for .454 Casull/2.5" and 3" .410 shotshell.

Load steel shot .410 to sweep your path of annoying fae or speedload a cylinder full of .454 to deal with larger vermin (such as demonic elephants)!
A true villain's slumber is undisturbed by anything but the occasional chuckle.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
You could just electro-plate the silver onto whatever weapon or pointy thing you wanted.  Electro-plating can be done at home with common items at little cost.  Tub of vinegar, electric current, item you want to plate and the metal you want to cover it with.  Easy...  Technically you could even electro plate rounds for a firearm prior to loading them into their shells.  Much cheaper than wasting metals all over the place with trying to melt and coat them on sharp pointy items or casting full silver bullets.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »
Actuall silvering a weapon is useless (except one or two instances) in DV. IT has to be "ancestral" silver and those are always in limited supply. You need to keep them intact (reforging is ok as Murph did but coating may not be enough / break the mystical, "ancestral" part and make it regular silver) and reusable if possible.