Author Topic: Item of Power / Character Concept  (Read 1688 times)

Offline MrJamela

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Item of Power / Character Concept
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
I've been working on my character for the game we're starting in a week and I'm finding myself a little tweaked by the looseness of the Items of Powers rules. Not sure if I'm too powerful or too weak on my less game-y abilities.

The character concept is the changeling son of the Erlking who made his choice and chose human. But when the need arises, he makes a deal with his father to be his emissary in exchange for a bow which restores his fae abilities when he is on the Hunt.

Here is the write-up for the bow and his abilities:

-1 Sylrail -- The Hunter’s Bow

A gift to Olwydd from the Erlking himself (and imbued with his magic), Sylrail restores his Fae nature.

+2 One Time Discount

+0 Call the Hunt: When the bow is summoned from the Nevernever, it appears in the hand of a post-Choice changeling they are transformed from Mortal to Fae, restoring their Fae abilities. The prey must be named or known to the Hunter in some fashion (tracks found, victim’s body, etc.). The Erlking watches the hunt, and expects to be entertained by it. The hunt will only end when Sylrail has inflicted a consequence (either upon the prey, or upon the Hunter). If the bow and the Hunter are separated, the Hunter is locked in his Fae form until the bow is restored and the Hunter gains the aspect “Wyld!” as their grasp on their humanity begins to falter. If the Hunter and Sylrail are separated come the next full moon, the Wild Hunt is unleashed upon the mortal realm as the Erlking demonstrates his displeasure (and recovers the bow himself).

+0 It Is What It Is: The item is a bow and must be used as such -- two hands free, etc., Base Weapon Damage is +2

+0 Elf Shot: Sylrail does not require arrows, it creates them from the Fae magic of the Nevernever. As such, they will damage creatures that have magic as their Catch, but they are also blocked by Cold Iron and the like.

+0 Unbreakable: Sylrail can only be destroyed by the Erlking himself.

-2 Heartseeker: Sylrail is extremely accurate and deadly. (+1 to the wielder’s Bow skill and +2 to Damage)

-1 Supernatural Senses: Sylrail’s wielder can see perfectly in dim light, sense the direction of his prey, and track by scent.

------

-2 Olwydd’s Fae Form
     +1 Human Form: Fae abilities below only restored by Calling the Hunt with Sylrail
     -2 Inhuman Speed
     -2 Inhuman Recovery
     -2 Inhuman Toughness
     +3 The Catch: Cold Iron and the Like
-----

I used Human Form to model him being Mortal most of the time except when he is on the Hunt, since his powers are not tied directly into holding the bow, only the transformation back and forth is.

Does this look reasonable/unreasonable, etc.? This is a 7 refresh game and the other two characters are spellcasters. I don't want to throw game balance out of whack if I can avoid it.

Curious to see what people think.

Thanks,

Jaime

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power / Character Concept
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »
I think you may have a problem with the concept. Your player needs to be a 7(9)  refresh mortal to start with then you should be applying the bow and its following abilities on him. He will technichally loose freewill by falling to negative refresh but you can get around this by saying that he is gambling, all or nothing scenario. The item (and the Fae nature) cost -0 refresh until he succeeds (and the bow goes away) or he fails and belongs to his father, probably as a trophy.

At the end of the day, I would say it is too much for a 7 refresh game. Maybe in a situation like Harry had in Changes but you need to remember that Harry had about 15 stories (big, and small. mostly big) under his belt before his gamble.
Edit: Well he sacrificed everything he had not gambled but you get my meaning I hope.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline MrJamela

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »
I guess I am not following that.

Don't the + powers cancel out the - ones?

The template I'm using is Emissary of Power. Changeling is just color.

Jaime

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
Ok, slight misunderstanding on my part. I thought the character was going to be a mortal then get the Fae stuff on top (temporaryly)

I guess in the form you wrote, he resembles Marvel's Thor. (The base guy is a wuss but he has a kickass magical item).

I am not sure but without his bow, he feels like he would be too weak in most normal situations (no mortal stunts of his own) but as for item itself, it isn't too bad but I'm not sure about the cost, -1 seems a bit too low.
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
I can't see any problems with it balance wise, as long as the cost from his Fae form is included in his total refresh cost.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline MrJamela

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:18 AM »
With 4 refresh remaining, I'll probably take a stunt or two.....

I was thinking about this one for tracking:

Hunting on Instinct:
Character can use Alertness to modify Survival for tracking instead of Investigation.

Jaime