Author Topic: IoP upgrading powers?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
IoP upgrading powers?
« on: July 03, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »
So question for people...

I am trying to figure out the best way to have an Item of Power improve a characters powers instead of just giving him more different powers.

Could you for example make an IoP that had Inhuman Speed, and add that to the characters innate inhuman speed? So that with the item he has supernatural speed? and without (if he looses it, or lends it) he would be lowered to inhuman speed?

Or is that unbalanced and the the item need to have supernatural speed to replace his innate?

Baro

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: IoP upgrading powers?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Sounds like something that is more appropriate for your group and your GM to determine.  I'd say that you can't stack powers like that, that you'd just have to take supernatural speed with the item, but depending on the group the answer may be different.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
I'd say that you've invested enough refresh in supernatural speed, then you can have supernatural speed. If you split the refresh between your IoP and your innate abilities it doesn't effect the level of the game. You'll have to get agreement from the GM as luminos said, but it seems totally fair and balanced to me.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:39:45 PM »
Yeah, an Item improving your capabilities actually makes perfect sense both logically and thematically. Thor's the strongest of the Norse gods but his belt doubles his strength, and that's basically what Focus Items do as well.

I'd allow it in a heartbeat.

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
As a GM, I've actually suggested this as an option for a player, so yeah, I'd say I'm supportive of the idea  ;)

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »
I'd say this is perfectly fine; I've even done something similar with Human Form on one character I statted up - he's normally got Inhuman Speed, but it goes up to Supernatural if he's willing to show off his wings.

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 03:05:29 AM »
Thanks, that is what i was feeling too, just wanted a general opinion, definitely going this route whenever i finally get a game going (pending gm approval of course)