Author Topic: DFRPG and the Codex Alera  (Read 1511 times)

Offline fabulator

• Participant
    • View Profile
DFRPG and the Codex Alera
« on: July 02, 2010, 04:40:26 AM »
So, anyone else think that with just a few tweaks here and there this system could work for the Codex Alera, JB's other great work?  I mean all you'd have to do is alter some skills and redo some types/templates, fiddle with the stunts, take a look at the powers, ummm...rework almost everything. But still, it would work! hehe

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG and the Codex Alera
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
I don't know about that but I'd love to see a character with a Fury (a type of elemental familiar) in a Dresden game :)

In fact, I wish there were more rules for familiars in the game. I suppose it could just be an aspect, or if you want it to be more important to your powers (like in Codex Alera) it could be an item of power perhaps? In fact it'd be nice to have rules for intelligent items too. Some variant on Demonic Co-pilot perhaps? Hmm...

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
Actually, modeling fury crafting wouldn't be too difficult.  I imagine you'd have to change some of the skills for a Codex Alera game, and the magic system would need a lot of changes (no stress for basic furycrafting, for instance, but you'd need to have some external source for the element you are using).

Wind Crafting:  For someone like Amara, you'd take Fly, Inhuman (or Supernatural) Speed, and some modified form of channeling for wind to model everything she can do.  Then you make a custom power that says she has to have access to open air for her powers to function, and that salt prevents her from crafting for a limited time.

Fire Crafting:  Some modified form of Fire channeling, and a whole lot of incite emotion upgrades gives all the stuff you need to cover the basics of this.  A custom power saying you need fire to make any of your abilities to work.

Earth Crafting:  Inhuman (or Supernatural) Strength, a modified Earth Channeling, incite lust, probably one or two other things I'm forgetting.  A custom power saying you have to be connected to the earth for any of your powers to work.

Metal Crafting:  A custom power increasing your attack when using a metal weapon, and increasing your defense against metal weapons.  A craftsmanship stunt when working with metal stuff, stunts to let you take more consequences before being taken out whenever you are touching metal.  Maybe Inhuman (or higher) toughness.  

Wood Crafting:  Glamours, and a stunt(s) to increase your skill with bows and perhaps even some modified form of channeling for wood.  I don't remember the books going into much detail about what Wood Crafting could do.

Water Crafting:  Wizards Constitution, or perhaps a modified form of flesh mask for the youthfulness part of it.  Modified channeling for water.  Recovery powers, and custom empathy powers to represent the truth detection abilities.  Finally, the thing that would be the most needed for testing would be how to create the healing powers of a powerful water crafter.

And thats just off the top of my head, there are probably a lot of other stuff that I missed.

Edit:  Already thought of something I was missing.  Water Crafters could also get a modified form of the Mimic Form ability.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:06:04 PM by luminos »
Lawful Chaotic

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »
Luminos has some great ideas there, I also think that Sponsored Magic (Fury) is an option. 
Though I'd almost think a discounted version that doesn't allow for focus items might be justified in that as well.

I could see someone building a "Last Son/Daughter of Alera" character with this type of stuff.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
I'd be tempted to tack on feeding dependency. Granted, you'd have to replace "rest" or what have you for regaining your powers.

Aside from that, it's no real stretch to see that, as crafters use their powers, they get fatigued. As that fatigue grows, they are less and less able to use their crafting. The loss of supernatural powers that feeding dependency has models this pretty darn well, IMHO.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog