Author Topic: I need help with character  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I need help with character
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
It's quite wrong question, cuz it's about Buffy-RPG, and even not about RPG but about... I don't know. American mentality.))
My character is:
a) from Louisiana
b) from rich family and his family was planters before Civil War
c) whiter than fresh snow
So, considering this information... how much racist  he should be? It's important, cuz our Slayer from Pakistan. I see him as "of course I'm not racist. BU-U-T..."

RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with character
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
How about the Quirk "Chauvinist" from GURPS?  You're not necessarily racist, but you're always aware of differences between other people and yourself.  That should makes for a less tense game session.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
Could be really racist, could be "colourblind" racist, could be genuinely non-racist. Rich white people from Louisiana are diverse in their opinions and morality, like people everywhere.

So really it's up to you and your group. Personally I'd be inclined to make him non-racist because roleplaying as a racist seems like the opposite of fun to me, but I'm obviously not you.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
How about the Quirk "Chauvinist" from GURPS?  You're not necessarily racist, but you're always aware of differences between other people and yourself.  That should makes for a less tense game session.
Thanks))
Could be really racist, could be "colourblind" racist, could be genuinely non-racist. Rich white people from Louisiana are diverse in their opinions and morality, like people everywhere.
So really it's up to you and your group. Personally I'd be inclined to make him non-racist because roleplaying as a racist seems like the opposite of fun to me, but I'm obviously not you.
I just wanted stereotypes.
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »

I have a racist character and I find it challenging to play.  He's PbP and when I want to write something 'in character', I realize that it would be very insensitive to write certain things even though I don't mean them, personally.  I, therefore, end up changing things up.  Your group might be more forgiving of stuff like that.  pbp is a public forum while your game might be more private.

On that note, you could always be racist against a fictional group like White Court Vampires or Summer Fairies.

Think of it this way:  If Aliens attacked the planet, humans (as a race) might unite against the common foe.  Supernatural baddies kind of create that Us(humans) vs Them(Monsters) attitude.

So, maybe your character USED to be racist but when he found out about the supernatural, he changed his attitude - or more specifically, changed the outlet for his racist tendencies.

Which is kind of what I've done with my racist character.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »
I am from a white, lower middle class family from Birmingham, Alabama and I am not racist.  In fact I was a direct opponent of racism and I lobbied against the skin heads and the racists in the GOP for years.  I ended up leaving Alabama because the local skin heads had put a price on my head for opposing them.  The point being that while there were plenty of racists in the 'Ham (a city synonymous with racism) there were also plenty of good folk who were dedicated to fighting the racism whenever it reared its butt-ugly head.  So you can play a southern character and he or she doesn't have to be sexist or racist. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
Thanks for your advises. Anyway, the game already start and there wasn't many opportunities to show my char as racist. He just call our Slayer "black-assed" couple of times and not for insult her but for describe her appearance. And after that this theme wasn't used.