Author Topic: Mimic Abilities as a Player Power  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Hyoban

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mimic Abilities as a Player Power
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
I'm making a character for a Dresden game, and I had the idea to make a Minor Talent with Mimic Abilities. My GM agreed to it, said I could even have -2 refresh for it, but ruled that I could only use it to clone skills and stunts. I don't have a problem that, so I agreed. However, now he's claiming that the Mimic Stunt and Mimic Skill trappings don't follow the Eat Power rules for allocating Mimic Points and has taken it upon himself to apply limitations such as a one scene limit to cloned abilities (rather than the mostly-indefinite duration defined in the Eat Power trapping), and a scene of 'down-time' before the original bonus to a skill comes back after relocating a Mimic Point.

He reasons this by saying that the rules defined in Eat Power only count for the cloning of supernatural abilities, and that stunts and skills are left with an undefined means of acquiring them, which lets him make it as he wants. It's my belief though that Eat Power applies to them as well.

I understand that the GM has the right to modify things, but I'd like the community's opinion on how Mimic Stunts and Mimic Skills relate to Eat Power. Am I right in my reading that Eat Power defines how Mimic Points are allotted and that Mimic Stunts and Mimic Skills just elaborate on what you can get from Eat Power?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Mimic Abilities as a Player Power
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Your interpretation is correct, I don't understand how your GM came to his conclusion.  If its a house rule, thats one thing, but he should be up front about it being a house rule before you get stuck with that power. 

The way the power works is that you have indefinite access to the skills/stunts/powers you absorb, with the limitation being you have to somehow get a hold of a significant part of the targets biology.  And you can only mimic the stuff from one target at a time.
Lawful Chaotic