Author Topic: Silver Warden Bullets  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Cowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Silver Warden Bullets
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:43:55 PM »
Could you apply Lucio's technique for making warden swords to bullets? A pistol that destroys spells would be fairly awesome! Would it be similar to making a potion? Each silver bullet taking up one potion slot? Would shooting someone with an enchanted bullet violate the 1st law?

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Warden Bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »
Would shooting someone with an enchanted bullet violate the 1st law?

Not any more than slicing someone with an enchanted sword would.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »
If the magic on the bullet just allows it to penetrate magical protections, but didn't make it inherently more lethal, then I would say it didn't violate the first law.

Something like magic bullets loaded into a breech loading shotgun might be pretty fitting (less moving parts than a revolver).  Think "flare gun" but instead of flares it fires "shield piercing" bullets.

The real issue I think others will pounce on is that it sets your character up as a potential "warden sword crafter."  I don't think this is a problem because you are making a consumable bullet while the warden swords have a uncharacteristic permanence to them (no "perpetual mojo machines" in DF).

So I would say that your bullets would get turn its strength, derived from lore as normal, to try to ignore blocks (or half its strength in armor).  Then just rate it as Weapon:3 (this sounds like a "BFG" type pistol).  Then you just get a number of bullets per session equal to the number of potions to devote to it.

So if you have Lore 4, then such a bullet ignores 4 shift blocks or armor:2.  But since it is a potion bullet, you can spend an aspect to augment it on the fly (YS 280).
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »
Just put a tiny piece of mordite at the tip of each bullet.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »
What is the Lore for your character? The main issue I see is that to produce an equivalent effect to the Warden Sword, (A counterspell at Fantastic (+6) strength, plus maybe a weapon value increase) you'd need a fairly high lore to create.

Otherwise yeah sure, I'd certainly allow magic bullets to be created. Loading for that turn as a supplemental action, and then using straight away (though the Fast Reload stunt, or using a supplemental action on the previous exchange would allow you to shoot without a -1 penalty to accuracy).

Another possibility, and one that might be more reasonable if you don't have crazy lore skills, is more general magic bullets. Force bullets for extra damage, sunshine bullets for some of those pesky vamp critters, silver bullets for werewolves and holy bullets for any demonic types you run across. Devote two enchanted item slots to them and have an aspect like 'Bullet with your name on it' or whatever and I'd probably allow you to either roll for, or to automatically have, the right bullet for a situation 3 times a day.

Wouldn't mordite bullets dissolve the gun? And the gun holster? And your leg?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
Mordite seems to dissolve only living things by draining their life-force.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Chlorofiend

• Participant
  • Plant Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:23:22 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Still makes it a b***h to reload.  :o
"Little holes are from Marcone's thug. Big dent was a chlorofiend," I said.
"A what?"
"Plant monster."
"Oh. Why don't you just say 'plant monster?'"
"I have my pride."

--Harry and Susan, Death Masks

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Mordite enchantments would allow you to handle the bullets maybe, but the magic would probably kill the gun. Remember that Ivy's Mordite was a "Particle" of the stuff.

Plus, Mordite requires breaking the 7th Law to get. Not the things for Wardens unless made by the Blackstaff.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:59:07 AM »

The real issue I think others will pounce on is that it sets your character up as a potential "warden sword crafter."  I don't think this is a problem because you are making a consumable bullet while the warden swords have a uncharacteristic permanence to them (no "perpetual mojo machines" in DF).

We've seen magical stuff that's lasted for thousands of years (medea's bodkin, for instance).  I'd say more that they're rare rather than nonexistent.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline fabulator

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:24:23 AM »
Wouldn't it be more in keeping with the original idea to make a gun that imparted the dispelling effect to its ammunition rather than crafting each bullet individually? I agree it would have to be a low-tech level weapon to get around the whole wizards and high tech issue but a nice simple revolver should be fine.  Also, regarding the idea of bullets with different magical effects I'd have to say be careful with those as to me it looks like you'll be skirting the edges of the first law pretty close. Depending on the local warden you might end up with a close shave if you ever hit a mortal target with them.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 06:38:14 AM »
the magic would probably kill the gun
On the contrary, Mordite would make the gun impossible to hex or otherwise affect with magic as it immediately drains all nearby magic except for very specific enchantments.