Author Topic: Imposing consequences?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Imposing consequences?
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »
Is it possible to impose consequences to another when they don't want you to? I.e. can you shoot sb in the leg and impose "bum leg" ?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Imposing consequences?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
The consequence taken has to be in line with the description of the action that inflicted it. At least that's the way that I'd handle it. As a GM I'd rule that the player who takes the consequence has to take it appropriately.

So I'd say yes it can, but only to a certain extend. If the taker of the consequence can come up with a good reason that you didn't hit the leg, then you are screwed. If you want to be sure about the aspect you place you might consider going maneuver though. Just make it sticky. It's basically the same thing but you don't have to go through stress first.  
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
Take a look at "Consequential Conflicts" (YS 193).  I guess that's exactly what you are looking for.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
The player of the attacking character has narrative control of the action that imposes a Consequence pretty much right up until the dice hit the table. Then narrative control passes to the player of the character being attacked. So it's up to the player of the defending character to decide if that character indeed got shot in the leg, dodge and then proceeded to fall injuriously, or whatever.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »
Is it possible to impose consequences to another when they don't want you to? I.e. can you shoot sb in the leg and impose "bum leg" ?

Sounds more like a manoeuvre to me. You roll guns, and they resist with, say, athletics. If you win, you place the temp. aspect of "bum leg" on them.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »
Its a-lot like playing with wooden guns.

"I shoot you in the leg, now you have to hop after me" - Child 1.

"Okay," Starts hopping. "I shoot you in the hand you have to drop one of your guns" - Child 2.

"Okay." Drops a Gun. "I shoot you . . ."

----

Of course it can go different.

"I shoot you in the leg, now you have to hop after me." - Child 1.

"Nah," Falls to ground, "It hurts to bad, I fall down.  And shoot you in the hand.  You have to drop one of your guns!"  --Child 2

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
There is a stunt that does something like what Belial wants in the Spirit of the Century SRD, I will now Copy Paste it here:

Quote from: Crippling Blow
Requires Dirty Fighter.

When you injure an opponent with your Fists, you may spend a fate point to force the target to take a consequence rather than check off a box. This can only be done once per opponent in a given fight scene. The target may choose not to take the consequence if he is willing to concede.

And also

Quote from: Signature Strike
Requires Crippling Blow (above) or Fist of Death (below).

Your character has a specific attack which he has honed to devastating perfection. It may be a formalized punch with an appropriately dramatic name (Thousand Whirlwinds Strike As One!) or may be as informal as complete mastery of the kick in the crotch.

Once per fight scene, the character may use this strike. To do so, the player must clearly describe whatever posturing or preamble the strike requires, declare he’s using the strike, and roll the dice.

If the strike successfully damages the opponent (inflicts stress or a consequence by itself), it imposes a consequence in addition to treating the attack normally (such as checking off a box due to stress inflicted). This means that if the the stress would normally produce a consequence, the victim will end up taking two consequences.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
If you want to restrict the level of control the opponent has over his type of consequence, one trick would be to make a called shot maneuver on the guys leg, and then the next attack, if successful, should be considered to have hit the leg.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Ornithopter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »
Thaumaturgy may offer you something like what you're looking for.  Aspects created through thaumaturgic maneuvers can be sustained using the normal rules for increasing duration, meaning that you could place a sticky aspect on a target and have it last for some significant amount of game time, similar to the way that consequences can take a significant amount of time to remove.

Also, it seems that Thaumaturgy may allow you to choose what consequence the opponent takes, when you have a spell with sufficient shifts that you can force them to take a consequence to avoid being taken out.  An example of this would be the Phobophage Redirection spell.