Author Topic: Consequence questions  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
Consequence questions
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
Okay so besides getting compelled for a bonus for the person compelling them, is there any other negatives that go along with a consequence?

For instance, if someone was shot in the arm (NPC) and they try to fire back the PC can tag it for free once to give them a bonus to dodging.  But after that say they are out of fate points.  Does the consequence just not affect them?

or is there just a blanket negative to actions that would require use of that arm?

Or is it up to the GM to compel it all the time (giving them fate points while doing so) to give them a negative for every action that involves that consequence?

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
Re: Consequence questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
Okay so besides getting compelled for a bonus for the person compelling them, is there any other negatives that go along with a consequence?

For instance, if someone was shot in the arm (NPC) and they try to fire back the PC can tag it for free once to give them a bonus to dodging.  But after that say they are out of fate points.  Does the consequence just not affect them?

or is there just a blanket negative to actions that would require use of that arm?

Or is it up to the GM to compel it all the time (giving them fate points while doing so) to give them a negative for every action that involves that consequence?

Consequences are more than just a compel-worthy temp. aspect. It also represents the will to keep going in a conflict. Consequences all used up? One or two good hits at 2+ stress will cause that person--or thing--to be taken out.

Just because you're out of FPs doesn't mean that their shot arm is meaningless. Indeed, the pain from the gunshot wound causes them to "give in" earlier in a fight than they normally would.

Besides, not every gunshot to the arm causes problems right away. Adrenaline is an amazing thing. It'll block out the pain a bit, and keep you focused on staying alive. Oh sure, you'll feel the pain afterwards, but not during the conflict.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
Well, the GM can and should Compel them for appropriate things, like someone with a broken leg being unable to run, or someone with a broken arm being unable to fire an assault rifle. Stuff like that likely lasts a scene or so, so it's not like they're getting a Fate Point every round...

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »
For consequences, you get fate points at the end of the fight, if you lose and one fate point per consequence. You get no fate points during the encounter and no fate points of you win.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
Is there anything stating to impose a penalty in the books?  (mine have not arrived yet)

Like a -1 for moderate and -2 to serious  (no ongoing penalty for mild)

Just seems wacky that I can compel an NPC to miss a shot because of a consequence, but after those compels are used, they are no longer hindered.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »
For consequences, you get fate points at the end of the fight, if you lose and one fate point per consequence. You get no fate points during the encounter and no fate points of you win.

Well, you get Fate Points if the GM Compels the Consequence or people burn Fate Ponts to Invoke it against you. Though not for the free Tag, which can be Tagged for effect.

Is there anything stating to impose a penalty in the books?  (mine have not arrived yet)

Like a -1 for moderate and -2 to serious  (no ongoing penalty for mild)

Just seems wacky that I can compel an NPC to miss a shot because of a consequence, but after those compels are used, they are no longer hindered.

What do you mean "used up"? The GM is the one who Compels, and he should do it as often as appropriate.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »

Not quite, you only get the fate points if you concede, which is essentially laying down and giving up instead of fighting until you are taken out.

-edit-

To clarify things, since there are multiple situations you can get fate points, lets work out an example.

Johnny gets his leg broken, he tries to run away, and the gm compels his Broked Leg aspect. He accepts the compel, and cant run for the rest of the scene. He continues to fight however, since its the only thing he has left to do. He take a mild consequence Beaten, and Bruised, and a moderate Consequence I'll Be Pissing Blood.

Now, hes got a full suite of consequences (aside from the extreme, but usually, you wont fight to the extreme consequence), he still has an open stress box, (Lets say he has P XXXO, hes a tuff dude, after all).

Now, Johnny realizes that this isn't going to end well, either way, so he Concedes, and passes out from the pain (he could have kept on fighting, but it was pretty clear he was going down anyway). Johnny gets 3 fate points (one for each consequence he took), totaling four from the whole ordeal (remember the Broked Leg compel).

(Johnny didn't have to concede, he can still cash out as deadmanwalking mentions below.)

Most likely, if a consequence is going to last longer than a scene, Id say it can award a fate point once per scene, but you still suffer the effects of the compel for each whole scene it was compelled in.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:22:34 PM by KOFFEYKID »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 02:14:46 PM »
Not quite, you only get the fate points if you concede, which is essentially laying down and giving up instead of fighting until you are taken out.

I'm afraid that's incorrect. Check p. 206, any Conflict you lose you get to Cash Out your Consequences.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »
As a GM, you would compel a broken arm so they wouldn't be able to use that arm this scene or even this session, the compel wouldn't last only one exchange.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:17:05 PM by CMEast »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
As a GM, you would compel a broken a broken arm so they wouldn't be able to use that arm this scene or even this session, the compel wouldn't last only one exchange.

Exactly. Though session might be pushing it on one Compel. I'd call that at least two Compels unless it's a very short session.

Offline Ravangames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »
now we are getting somewhere...

Okay, in the book I read that you can tag a consequence all the time to get a +2 to your roll as long as you have fate points..

So how long does the compel last after the last time it was tagged?

Until it is healed?

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »
I'm afraid that's incorrect. Check p. 206, any Conflict you lose you get to Cash Out your Consequences.

Drat, you be right again, good sir!

My example (that I edited in) is still a good one though.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Yes it does. Good example.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
Consequences come into effect when someone at the table thinks it would be interesting and has access to fate points they are able and willing to pass around the table.

The GM has as many fate points as he feels he needs. So if the GM thinks that it would be interesting for a Consequence to come into play and make problems, he can essentially generate fate points from nothing in order to spend them to involve the Consequence.

If no one thinks it would be interesting, or if they are not willing or able to spend fate points, then Consequences don't create any sort of penalty. It doesn't matter if you're Shot In The Arm, or whatnot, if no one spends any fate points (except in as much as it's a Consequence you've taken for purposes like being Taken Out, etc).

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 04:34:50 AM »
On p.106 it says that if an aspect is invoked against you - you receive a Fate point at the end of the Exchange not at the end of the scene or fight as someone mentioned up-thread.

So the tag doesn't get me a fate point but if my enemies keep invoking my broken rib consequence I get a fate point at the end of each exchange (round in D&D speak) that they do, correct?