Author Topic: Question regarding Sidhe and Fae  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Whicker

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question regarding Sidhe and Fae
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:41:36 AM »
In my game i am planning on having several interactions with the fae, due to one of my pc's having taken changling and another marked by power.   I want to know about gifts from fae.  Does it demand a gift in response? A debt?    And to convey this debt or gift does the pc have to know that the fae is a fae or can the far in question be hiding in plain sight as a human

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding Sidhe and Fae
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:11:18 AM »
depends, if they give you like awesome powers yep, if it is somthing like info or an object not necessarily, but nine.nine times yes it involves an exchange, anything from your doughnut to your aunts soul
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:13:24 AM »
In my game i am planning on having several interactions with the fae, due to one of my pc's having taken changling and another marked by power.   I want to know about gifts from fae.  Does it demand a gift in response? A debt?   

Almost always. A common saying in dresden is "Faeries never give anything away for free, there is always a price tag" So technically it could be either or both.

And to convey this debt or gift does the pc have to know that the fae is a fae or can the far in question be hiding in plain sight as a human

Nope the pc doesnt even have to know they are conciously making a deal. So if the fae said something like "would you give an arm or a leg to be taken seriously?" and the person responds "Hell yes" speaking sarcasticly he still agreed to a deal from the fairy meaning he will probably be loosing that arm, or leg.

That said large deals like that are generally made by people who know they are dealing with fae. and it would be kinda jerky to make a big deal like that without the pc knowing what they were getting into.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:02 AM »
The Fae are not normally allowed to (or capable of) killing mortals or utilizing most of their more blatant abilities, but if you owe them, then they can do whatever they please until you pay them back. This is the root of, say, Mab's ability to make Harry shove a letter opener through his hand.

And no, you don't need to know they're Fae for it to work that way.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:54 AM »
The Fae are not normally allowed to (or capable of) killing mortals or utilizing most of their more blatant abilities, but if you owe them, then they can do whatever they please until you pay them back. This is the root of, say, Mab's ability to make Harry shove a letter opener through his hand.

And no, you don't need to know they're Fae for it to work that way.

Let's be specific: The Sidhe. The Sidhe Lords, the beautiful Nigh-Human looking Fae, run on this principle of Exchange. Mab, Lea, Maeve, Titania, they all run on this principle. Auroura offers Harry food, and essentially says that there is no strings attached. Since they can't directly lie, there is no danger in it. So while it doesn't necessarily always denote a debt, it's more or less the norm.
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 05:34:13 AM »
True, true. Though it applies to a somewhat lesser extent to all Fae. Of course, som of the people in their debt and things allowed are odd. Disobedient children on bridges being fair game for trolls (due to a specific deal), just for example.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:05:55 PM »
So all one of the Sidhe needs to do in order to toast a mortal is to lob said mortal something valuable first, then incinerate them while they're still wondering what the hell is happening?  Nice.

For extra fun, use a fire-proof trinket, that way it's reusable.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline digital3lf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
In my game i am planning on having several interactions with the fae, due to one of my pc's having taken changling and another marked by power.   I want to know about gifts from fae.  Does it demand a gift in response? A debt?    And to convey this debt or gift does the pc have to know that the fae is a fae or can the far in question be hiding in plain sight as a human

I've been reading Summer Knight and wondering the same thing. I think the way I'd handle "minor" gifts (an extravagant faerie-food meal, some time with a beautiful fae maiden, etc) is through scene aspects. Stuff like that isn't big enough to warrant an actual Fate-debt, but should be represented somehow. I imagine having dozens of subtle "offers" laying about a fae court, some that might seem totally innocuous, would be a lot of fun.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:56:22 PM »
So all one of the Sidhe needs to do in order to toast a mortal is to lob said mortal something valuable first, then incinerate them while they're still wondering what the hell is happening?  Nice.

For extra fun, use a fire-proof trinket, that way it's reusable.

Uh, no. They need to give the human something legitimately valuable, as valuable as the price they charge. Like, say, saving their True Love's life (the fact that you indirectly arranged for her to be in danger is irrelevant), that you can get some serious power over them with. Leah helped save Harry from He Who Walks Behind, which is why his debt is so big, just for example.

And most Fae can harm mortals even without this sort of thing, only the Queens need it for that...but all Fae need it to own them.

I'm pretty sure the mortal has to accept the gift, too. So they'd have to catch the bauble, but even a reflexive catch would count...