Author Topic: Conversions for Old World of Darkness Character Types  (Read 11397 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Conversions for Old World of Darkness Character Types
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 05:05:47 AM »
So, uh, anyone still interested in this? Or should I let it go the way of the dodo having made all the major game lines and a couple of others? I mean, I'm enjoying doing it, but if nobody's looking at it, I can do something else I'd enjoy equally that other people may find more useful.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 05:14:50 AM »
I would have a sad-panda moment. I'm loving this stuff, even for the systems I never really enjoyed (read: Hunter).

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 07:00:58 AM »
So, uh, anyone still interested in this? Or should I let it go the way of the dodo having made all the major game lines and a couple of others? I mean, I'm enjoying doing it, but if nobody's looking at it, I can do something else I'd enjoy equally that other people may find more useful.

I'm loving this stuff, though it seems I've somehow missed posting as much. However, my question would be what do you see that still needs to be done?

Demon, Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, Eastern Kindred, Hunter, and Changeling. Looking at the shelf next to me, Mummy is the only one I see you haven't done yet.

If you have more ideas of things to make, I know I'd read it (though I have to say that, at the moment, Fiona's sheet in the mortals thread is the one I'm most anticipating). :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 07:05:57 AM »
Well, I was gonna do Mummy, then stat up a few characters for the ones I haven't done that for, then maybe do some of the Changing Breeds for Werewolf and the weird Bloodlines for Vampire. Maybe do some New World of Darkness stuff after that.

And as people still appear to be interested, I'll definitely keep going here at least a while longer, I was just curious since nobody but me had posted here in nearly two weeks.  :)

Offline smoore

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

A friend of mine is working on rewriting the Mind's Eye Larp rules and is slowly being brought over to a FATE system in the process (already like the DRPG character creation and wants to use Aspects somehow). I'm sure he will have an interest in this once he gets out of the Whitewolf rut he's in.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »
Cool. People having expressed contnued interest, I'll keep going for a while longer. Next up is probably Mummy unless anyone has any requests.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 04:08:37 AM »
Mummy was the one I thought would make a great crossover in the first place.
I prefer classic mummy to mummy revised, but both are interesting.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
I don't actually even own classic Mummy, so you'll have to make do with Mummy Revised, sorry.  :(

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »
Sweet, Mummy is a cool setting. I had a real bad experience with a player who wanted his mummy to eat someone every five minutes, but besides that I've always had a good time with it. Looking forward to it. :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Please continue! Personally, I would love to see your take on the new WoD as well, especially for Mage: the Awakening. Since both DF and MtA both use magic based off the pentacle, it would be interesting to see how DFRPG could handle the system. Also, seeing the Scelesti and the Tremere Liches written down could provide some really interesting adversaries for my players in the Dresdenverse. Heck, now that I'm thinking about it, the Seers could form the perfect background for the Black Council...

Thanks for the hard work!  ;D

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
Mechanically speaking, Awakening would likely be almost identical to Ascension (though obviously with 10 Spheres instead of 9). They changed the thematics a lot between the two games, but not the basic way magic operates. By picking a Path, you've defined two of your five Spheres...and that's most of the changes, really.

And I'm glad people are liking it.  :)

Offline SavageMage

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Savage Mage
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »
I've been doing some thinking on this and came up with the following houserules for a Mage the Awakening homebrew using DFRPG.

Each Path (there are 5) has its own ruling and inferior Arcana. Each Path also has an advantage (be it composure or resolve in nWOD terms).

Therefore, when choosing a path, the mage gains a +1 conviction to spells cast out of his ruling arcana and -1 conviction to all spells from the inferior arcana. In addition, each path gains a +1 to conviction (Obrimos or Mastigos), or +1 to discipline (Acanthus, Moros, Thyrsus) for spellcasting.

The sight is no longer an ability, but rather a very specific spell cast within a specific Arcana costing 0 stress once per scene.

Everything else follows the Mage the Ascension houserules put forth by DMW.

Comments? Suggestions?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
I'd skip the Ruling/Inferior Arcana thing...it's an XP cost thing in NWoD, and basically unnecessary. As well as being a free +1 if you never take the unferior Arcana.

I'd also skip the Path bonus, or (if you keep it) make it a -1 Power. Nobody gets free bonuses in the DFRPG, nor should they. It also doesn't actually give a bonus on mot spellcasting in NWoD, so I'm not sure it should here either.

The Sight as such I'd actually leave as is, the Mage Sight spells are likely better done as fairly simple Thaumaturgical divination spells with some duration to them.

And sorry for not posing here in a while, it's been a hectic week.

Offline Odd Man Out

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
I find the exercise interesting, although I admit that I'd get more mileage out of other WW stuff; particularly your take on Exalted.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 11:07:08 PM »
I find the exercise interesting, although I admit that I'd get more mileage out of other WW stuff; particularly your take on Exalted.

Exalted, while awesome, isn't readily translatable into the DFRPG system...the Charms are too skill focused* for the Powers system to encompass them well. I'd almost be inclined to modify Spirit of the Century (with it's broader Stunts and flat power level) before I did the DFRPG.

*Or attribute focused in the case of Lunars (not that there's a difference in FATE).