Author Topic: Policy Changes: How do you feel?  (Read 37898 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Policy Changes: How do you feel?
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
When in doubt, it's always safer to err on the side of caution: "If it were me, I'd ___" as opposed to "Anyone who doesn't _____ is a menace to society", y'know.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
Curly, "I think X did it, and here's why" falls safely into the category of Dresdenverse discussion.  You're discussing in-universe characters with in-universe politics and in-universe motives.  That's exactly the kind of discussion we want to generate!  "I think X did it, because Obama is a Muslim" is not.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
"Ethics" is how some people spell "morals" and "politics".  It's not hard to find a fictional discussion to turn into a soapbox from which to snipe on Real World politics, morals, etc.  "I think X had a right to know about Y, and Z was wrong for withhlding that info" is one matter, but that's quite different from "discussing the Dresdenverse" by saying "Killing a sentient being is never right"  "Harry is wrong to eat meat or drink coke".  Those are examples of stuff that will generally hop right over to real world Touchy Topics Arguementation.  Likewise for even arguements like the ever popular "there is/is not any such thing as Free Will."  You think religious zeolots are fun, you should see Philosophy Zealots tear into each other.  They're more vicious than PHD's when one of their Respected Collegues has left the room.  So we do have to be careful that such things stay focussed on the Dresdenverse. 

Obama, holding a puppy, in front of the Lincoln Memorial, therefore, the Laws of Magic and the Accords are not relavant to the events of the short story Harry Eats A Sammich.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »

;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
I don't miss the arguments discussions from touchy topics (even though I did enjoy participating in some of them).  I do miss some of the people who were generally only here to participate in those discussions, and who have been mostly MIA since TT went away.  Having said that, I think the actions taken were unfortunately necessary.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2010, 02:58:01 AM »
WARNING, CHANGES SPOILERS

We try to keep Dresdenverse discussions strongly grounded in the Dresdenverse and leave real-world ethics at arm's reach.  It's the difference between "I think
(click to show/hide)
" and "I think
(click to show/hide)
."

I understand that. I am saying that not necessaryly touchy topics are all about politics. IMO the stress in that subject ("we don't want politics") is not right. It would be in "we don't want people feeling hurt or offended, so we wish that people was civil and well-mannered."
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:37 AM »
We tried that.  When political, social, economic, environmental issues, morality, religion and the like came up, civil and well-mannered went away.  Usually, civil and well mannered went away crying and it would take weeks to coax them out from under the stairs were they sat quietly rocking with their face to the wall.

"Politics" has a tendancy to gather all the other Touchy Topics I've mentioned under it's skirts, so we tend to use the term in generic fashion.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:19:50 AM by paynesgrey »

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:55 AM »
I think what it should boil down to in basic terms, is that some people with opinions cannot and should not have them challenged on a forum where the fallout will not be tolerated.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2010, 05:56:32 PM »
"Politics" has a tendancy to gather all the other Touchy Topics I've mentioned under it's skirts, so we tend to use the term in generic fashion.
Ah, all right. I understand it now.

(Also: I change my profile. This is the debut of my new look)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
The changes have happened (ironic I know).  I for one am just glad there was a forum to come back to.

lash

« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2010, 02:03:46 AM »
We all knew who the jerks were.
If we didn't want to deal with them...we just avoided them.
It's like life.
Now, everything is so sterilized.
I don't need to be protected.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »
Some people do.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
In regards to TT being shut down, I can understand why.  I didn't approve, but I understood.  Things would get heated and spill over into the main bar, and that wasn't acceptable.  And the Bob Rule was too little too late.  But from what I've heard of some of the arguments from teh book and spoiler sections, TT was mild in comparaison.  That's why I like the changes.  It's not just TT, it's EVERYBODY that being subjected to the new regime.  Maybe, after things have settled down a bit (I'm dreaming I know, but a guy can hope), TT will be sanitized, remodeled and reopened with stricter rules and a kid-friendly atmosphere.

Like I said, I'm dreaming, but MAYBE it's a remote possibility.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
Some people do.

Ouch. ED ol debate partner mine..just ouch.

the problem seems to me is that some people took these debates personally; and second, we have no real way of knowing how old or mature any individual poster is. So lets say we have a thread that gets into emotional terrioty, such as a thread on what the white god is or is not responsible for, and in walks some kid, maybe 12-13, who is looking to find out who will get the thrid sword because they are a big fan, and WHAMMO face full of over wrought emotional angst and junk.

What im trying to say is we have to keep it pg13 or so because we have those members, quite a few of them.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
And there's manners.  Or lack thereof.  Go into most bars or cafes, and they'll have standards of behaviour.  Go to different people's homes, and the host there will generally have certain expectations of how his guests should conduct themselves.  In a frathouse or some dive bar, it might be considered normal to walk up to some people sitting at table and drop trou, then fart in their faces.  Most bars, it's not acceptable.  In Jim's House, it's not acceptable.  You can't "Just avoid" the jerks in a forum like this, they come to you, and why should the guests who do behave in a civil and pleasant manner be forced to put up with those who simply refuse to?