Author Topic: Policy Changes: How do you feel?  (Read 37771 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Policy Changes: How do you feel?
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2010, 03:08:07 AM »
You are, it's true.  But since your avatar is from the best, weirdest Angel ever, we forgive you.

I'll try to make a note of the next quietly-and-inexplicably locked thread I find.  I know the ones in the Bar expire; I even explained the process once (sorta).  This wasn't that.  I've only noticed it twice that I remember.  Like I said, for the most part, the changes have been invisible to me which is exactly what they should be for any poster who gets the whole 'behave as you would if your grandmother was in the room' thing.

Thank you my dear.   ;D 

Which grandmother?  One grammaw was a proper Scott, but Grammaw Crow would be sitting there with shotgun pointed at my head if she thought I was gonna sass. 

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2010, 03:08:46 AM »
Yeah, the old "Even Hand" thread was locked in the Spoilers section.  I unlocked it.  Hope that doesn't mess anything up. :D

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »
RE: Bans, transparency:
http://www.forumopolis.com/showbans.php

Not always the best descriptions.  And the modding in general is a bit more active and transparent there(though that's definitely a touchy subject there, too) IMO.

But that page does tend to alleviate a lot of concerns, and 'huh? what's going on?' posts.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
I have found myself being on the forum more since the changes came about.

This place reminds me of a huge family.  Siblings (us members) playing with each other nicely, then getting into spats with each other.  The kids pushing the limits with the parents (mods and admins). The parents trying to keep the peace and make a happy home for everyone as well as disciplining the kids.  Then you have the crazy uncles........ ;D

Thanks again to those in charge, who make this place work!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Question: Have you considered taking a few contentious threads and posting them -highly redacted, locked and stickied and highly redacted again-as examples of "What not to do"?

For example,

Quote from: ExtremelyRudeMember
I'm trying to be very polite, so I'll refrain from calling you an idiot

Quote from: BannedMember
!"£%!$^!$^%!^!$£^

and so on and so forth.
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
It's called The Book of Don't. Just Don't. by Greyson Payne. And every story ends with, "And Ashton killed him."

... I wasn't creative enough to come up with this idea; PG's already done it. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »
Work in progress, release date TBA.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
Oh ...ok...

I'm telling you, if they hadn't already been invented I'd have given the world U-bends for toilets, Credit cards, the battery operated Torch and the multi-light-switch system and the "Don't, just don't" thread. sigh...
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
I have to say I think the site is going great, adding the new mini mods seems to have been a good idea. More people to put out tiny fires that naturally pop up from time to time. Before I think it might have just been too much area for the older mods to cover. So small fires would pop up and start getting out of control before anyone could get to them. The mini mods are doing well so far. You can never tell how someone will react when they are first give mod power. Some people will step up and turn into real moderators, while some people just turn into posters with extra powers. We are all lucky that the people that were selected went the first rout.

I can’t say I have ever seen any moderating done by mods that I would disagree with. Even the few times I have been slapped down myself have been for things that after a few minutes to calm down about I could see I was being a d*ck over. But then I have always been good about looking at things from an outside perspective once I have calmed down.

As for the issue I have seen some people raise about moderators not being as polite as they could be when they a slapping people down, I guess I can kind of see what is meant. No one wants to be told they are doing things wrong and telling them in such a way that it seems that the mod is out of control, insulting, or rude can only make that person more upset and resentful. Of course like some of the mods that have replied have said sometimes people need a quick sharp slap and asking them nicely with sugar on top wont get that done. So I guess it comes down to the mods deciding what is the best tone for getting things done and what is needed to get a persons attention.

All in all I guess I would have to give a solid A for how things are going now. (except for Shecky I give him a B just because I can)  ;D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57:49 PM »
HEY!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »
I have found myself being on the forum more since the changes came about.

This place reminds me of a huge family.  Siblings (us members) playing with each other nicely, then getting into spats with each other.  The kids pushing the limits with the parents (mods and admins). The parents trying to keep the peace and make a happy home for everyone as well as disciplining the kids.  Then you have the crazy uncles........ ;D

Thanks again to those in charge, who make this place work!

I agree! The only thing that's really bothered me lately is that mom seems to be REALLY stressed out and the least little "HE BREATHED ON ME!" heard from the back seat gets us all pulled over to the side of the road for whippin's!

I imagine it will all smooth out eventually.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
I will give Shecky lots of Bs!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »
Apparently, people like their Shecky like they like their coffee: COVERED IN BEES.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
Pris it seems like you've been a busy little bee :P
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Apparently, people like their Shecky like they like their coffee: COVERED IN BEES.

Either that, or strong, rich, and thrown over the back of a mule like Juan Valdez.  :D
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.