Author Topic: iPhone/iPod touch apps  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
iPhone/iPod touch apps
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:00:57 AM »
I bought my b/f an iPod touch for Christmas, and while he was browsing apps, he came across one for writing stuff.  That made me curious, anyone know of anything like that that's more than just a notepad type thingie?  That one he came across I did look more into, and have come to the conclusion that it's pretty much crap, but did come across one called Auteuriest that looks interesting.  Anyone tried using iPod apps for any sort of writing/note taking/whatnot?
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Re: iPhone/iPod touch apps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 04:02:41 AM »
WriteRoom
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:31:55 AM »
Yeah...saw that one, how's it different than the notepad thing that comes preinstalled?  Other than the ability to sync/email a file.  I'm more interested in anything that could help with organization, being able to keep notes and ideas together without having to write it down on scraps of paper, and being able to refer to stuff without having to carry around a laptop/binder/whatever everywhere I go.

Offline Persephone

• Posty McPostington
  • Random, uncensored, bizarre, but worth it!
    • View Profile
    • My Official Photography Site
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »
Google has an App for iphone (It might work for Ipod too, I'm not that familiar with Mac) www.mywritingnook.com it's basically a notepad, but it lets you save to google, rather than your phone/pod so you don't use up memory and you can access it from any internet device.
Might be worth a glance!  :)
Persephone aka The Liz
Queen of Hellfire  ~"Long May She Reign"~
twitter @theliz13
Science Fiction Writer
My Little Pony Addict.
"The devils NOT in the details, he's named in my divorce"

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
I think I did come across that one, though I didn't really look too much into it.  It looks like it's more strictly writing, though being able to access with wifi might be helpful.  I did end up buying an iPod touch, and I got the Auteuriest app, which is pretty neat.  Wasn't really able to do much with it right off cause the copy/paste wasn't working right, but got an update that fixed that last night.  I like it because it's got sections for characters, places, research, all that fun stuff.  Which is usually what ends up causing me problems if I'm not at home.  I forget names and stuff and can't refer to notes when I don't have them.  And I've found the notepad to be really helpful when I get random thoughts at work.  Plus the fact that everything syncs with my Mac, so I don't have to do anything but hook the two up.

And looking into mywritingnook more, it requires a google account, and I think I already have way too many different accounts already.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:07:57 PM by Starbeam »

Offline Menejo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
I use manuscript.  It's a bit expensive, like 5-7 dollars, but it's very useful.  In each manuscript it lets you do individual chapters, character notecards, and summaries.  Best one I have found so far.
If the riches of the indies, or the crowns of all the kingdoms of Europe, were laid at my feet in exchange for my love of reading, I would spurn them all.