Author Topic: Accountability, author's timecard, word count written, feeling lonely out there?  (Read 43925 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
2500 more words.  Which is either half of a long chapter, or a whole chapter and there will be one more than I think.  Probably the latter, I like the way it ends.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Great news Neuro. Keep up the key pounding. :-)

I'm going to send some short stories to some sites listed on duotrope.com  Give it a try with me Enjoyous?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
OMG... I'm going off track. A middle grade concept sparked.  I love it. I love the other work. No time to do both.  I hate that kind of dilemma...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
Get it written down in bullit points and come back to it Grin.
Regards,
Kevin

OMG... I'm going off track. A middle grade concept sparked.  I love it. I love the other work. No time to do both.  I hate that kind of dilemma...
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Just submittted another story to the Battlecorps.com site (Official Battletech fiction website) and done a few short items for the website.

Found a Urban Fantasy story I'd written a while back, now going over it and will send it to Buzzy...

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
eek, before it dies away on us.

yeah, this AM was about 250 words plus nice revision.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
In the interest of not letting die out on us, I'll update too! I haven't been writing much since December.  Life events came, very serious ones.  But things are on the upswing and I've found my passion for writing again.  I'm fiddling with fanfics right now, largely Star Wars: Old Republic (I used to do some renders for the same, hence the new avatar on here. I made that!), and I'm putting a "What If..." spin on an old Star Wars fic by request of a reader.  An NC-17 spin, if ya know what I mean. *eyebrow waggle*

I've removed all pressures of word count or subject matter off myself.  If I feel like writing Dresden fic, I do. If I feel like working on my novel, I do.  If I feel like writing a series of unconnected Spider-Man combat scenes complete with witty repartee, I do.  It's all fun!
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
In the interest of not letting die out on us, I'll update too! I haven't been writing much since December.  Life events came, very serious ones.  But things are on the upswing and I've found my passion for writing again.  I'm fiddling with fanfics right now, largely Star Wars: Old Republic (I used to do some renders for the same, hence the new avatar on here. I made that!), and I'm putting a "What If..." spin on an old Star Wars fic by request of a reader.  An NC-17 spin, if ya know what I mean. *eyebrow waggle*

I've removed all pressures of word count or subject matter off myself.  If I feel like writing Dresden fic, I do. If I feel like working on my novel, I do.  If I feel like writing a series of unconnected Spider-Man combat scenes complete with witty repartee, I do.  It's all fun!
good for you Kali and I'm sorry you went through a difficult patch. Writing does seem to be tied to our moods, doesn't it?

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Y'know what's weird?  I'm assuming many, if not most, of us have read Stephen King's "On Writing."  I thought it was fascinating, not only the actual writerly stuff but also the look into the life of a full-time writer.  I remember him talking about his alcoholism and how he doesn't remember even writing... What was it, Cujo?  He talked later about how when he stopped drinking, he was terrified that he wouldn't be able to write.  That he'd become so accustomed to writing while drunk, he had to re-find his faith in his talent, had to re-learn the actual act of accessing his subconscious while sober.

I kinda get that now.

At the risk of over-sharing or becoming one of those whiny people, I had a serious rock-bottom time with my depression.  I actively tried to commit suicide.  So that, needless to say, took me out at the knees as far as writing.  But now I'm better, I'm recovering.  I'm in therapy, I'm on anti-depressants (and not the ones that led to the suicidal ideation either), and for so long, for months, I've been afraid to write. 

I got so used to writing as a way of disconnecting from the world.  I got used to it being part of my isolation, my own little safe bubble, that now that I'm leading a more-or-less normal life, I'm not sure I know how to write.  I know I used to "feel like" writing because it was what I did to escape life.  Now that I don't need to escape life, I'm having to redefine what writing is to me, why I do it.  And I'm having to learn how to write while not depressed.

So that's what's really behind suspending all demands on myself.  I'm learning to write for fun, as *part* of my life not *as* my life.  And I'm learning that I still have talent, that I don't need to be depressed and alone in order to write.  I'm learning how to write with a new mindset.  Heck, a new mind.

Anyway, thread de-rail over.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Y'know what's weird?  I'm assuming many, if not most, of us have read Stephen King's "On Writing."  I thought it was fascinating, not only the actual writerly stuff but also the look into the life of a full-time writer.  I remember him talking about his alcoholism and how he doesn't remember even writing... What was it, Cujo?  He talked later about how when he stopped drinking, he was terrified that he wouldn't be able to write.  That he'd become so accustomed to writing while drunk, he had to re-find his faith in his talent, had to re-learn the actual act of accessing his subconscious while sober.

I kinda get that now.

At the risk of over-sharing or becoming one of those whiny people, I had a serious rock-bottom time with my depression.  I actively tried to commit suicide.  So that, needless to say, took me out at the knees as far as writing.  But now I'm better, I'm recovering.  I'm in therapy, I'm on anti-depressants (and not the ones that led to the suicidal ideation either), and for so long, for months, I've been afraid to write. 

I got so used to writing as a way of disconnecting from the world.  I got used to it being part of my isolation, my own little safe bubble, that now that I'm leading a more-or-less normal life, I'm not sure I know how to write.  I know I used to "feel like" writing because it was what I did to escape life.  Now that I don't need to escape life, I'm having to redefine what writing is to me, why I do it.  And I'm having to learn how to write while not depressed.

So that's what's really behind suspending all demands on myself.  I'm learning to write for fun, as *part* of my life not *as* my life.  And I'm learning that I still have talent, that I don't need to be depressed and alone in order to write.  I'm learning how to write with a new mindset.  Heck, a new mind.

Anyway, thread de-rail over.
**hugs**  Yeah, it was Cujo that King couldn't remember, though it was coke and alcohol, I think.  I'm glad you're doing good. 

I think it might be something of a common thing for people to have to relearn writing, though not necessarily for the same reasons.  Hell, we could probably have an entire thread for this kinda thing.  It can be a daunting prospect--to stop writing for months at a time and then figure out how to get back into it.  Especially when you're used to writing to escape everything that depresses you and makes you unhappy, and the only thing that makes you happy is to get into the world in your head--until you actually are happy and wonder how you can write like that.  I think that's the kinda thing I went through when I'd moved in with my b/f.  I still sometimes have trouble getting into the writing instead of going out with him or playing games or whatnot.  Though he constantly tells me to "Write the book" and helps me when I get stuck and can't quite figure out what needs to be done.

But oohhh....Think I might've gotten over one of my stumbling blocks, although it's gonna require lots of rewrites. Must write down before my mind wanders anymore, and I lose it.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
It's wonderful that after such a trying and emotional time you are finding your writing again, Kali. And Starbeam, I've said it before, how great that you have someone who encourages your writing! You've been blessed.

I agree about writing becoming a crutch for real life, and it can be a worry. That's one reason for this thread. It's a place to connect, post your progress, discuss your work. Writers usually write in isolation and it is frightfully easy to let our characters become, I think, alternate realities. Well, it would be natural and maybe unavoidable for many writers?

This thread is based on twitter's #amwriting, if you are looking for another avenue to get support.  We may chose a hobby or a career that is isolationist by nature, but it is only through real life that we gain the life experience to fill the pages. 

As to writing? I've spent two AM sessions working on a complicated emotional scene between two characters, written in 1st POV. I'm having trouble getting the action/dialog to reveal what needs to be shown from both characters for the reader. I've not written a word, but my progress has been more than acceptable. I hope to have it all mentally written before the weekend, so I can start writing it down during breaks at a SCA event.  More of that real life that enriches my writing life!

Hugs to both of you.  If you ever need an ear, you know where to find me.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Been actually working away at the keyboard, last week wrote about 5k and did a whole bunch of world building shenanigans. This week I'm back at it, although it's been terribly emotional for me so writing has taken a back seat.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Wow, it's not even a full moon yet. I think the tornadoes have us all on edge?  good luck with getting life back to normal!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
I might try to get some writing done today, or at least a bit more figured out with the changes I'm gonna need to make. Although there's still wedding announcement crap to get done. Crap.  That counts as writing, doesn't it?
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Close enough for my tastes ;) :P
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus