Author Topic: Bringing on Other Book Source Material Into Your Dresden RPG  (Read 4024 times)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing on Other Book Source Material Into Your Dresden RPG
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
Here's an idea taken from a film I love - Equilibrium

Gun Kata. - Gun stunt, -3 refresh
-You may use your guns skill to defend against fist, weapon and gun attacks.
-You take no penalty when reloading as a supplemental action; if you're in a race to see who reloads first, or anything else having to do with your speed or ability to reload,  gain a +1 on the roll.
-You may gain a +1 to attacks with Guns whenever personally outnumbered in a gunfight.

It's a mix of Fast Reload, Target rich environment plus the ability to use Guns as a defense skill. The defense skill is a little more powerful than the average stunt as you can defend yourself from guns without cover, but Fast Reload is a slightly weaker stunt and so I think -3 refresh is quite fair.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
I'm personally tempted to bring in more powerful shapeshifters ala WoD, just so the werewolves can exist in the same weight class as wizards.

Also, given that the Nevernever is infinite, it isn't like it's hard to bring anything you want into the setting.  As the GM my bigger problem is keeping the supernatural elements in their proper place.  One of the things I love about the Dresdenverse is that, at least in the mortal world, humans are the dominant species, not background noise like in the WoD games. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
I'm personally tempted to bring in more powerful shapeshifters ala WoD, just so the werewolves can exist in the same weight class as wizards.

Also, given that the Nevernever is infinite, it isn't like it's hard to bring anything you want into the setting.  As the GM my bigger problem is keeping the supernatural elements in their proper place.  One of the things I love about the Dresdenverse is that, at least in the mortal world, humans are the dominant species, not background noise like in the WoD games. 

You saying this reminds me of the "Under a Harrowed Moon" Dime Novel Adventures for Deadlands classic, which crossed over Werewolf: The Wild West with the Weird West of Deadlands. There was also the Dime Novel "Adios A-Mi-Go!" which crossed Deadlands and Call of Cthlulu.
Both used the idea of transporting through the Spirit World (generic term to cover all cosmologies) to come together. Really great idea, which just adds even more to the infinite concepts of Dresden. . .

Oh, and yes, I've used Deadlands as a reference for a Wild West/Civil War Re-enactor, and Victoriana (among other Steampunk/Victorian-era fantasy games) for an older Wizard/Red Court Infected idea I've been kicking around. . .
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Crypt King

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
I'm staying as far away as possible from WoD due to some realllllly bad experiences.  I'm looking to bring some similar genre aspects in, like Supernatural and such for my Sacramento campaign.  Might use some Snookie, since a couple of my players are fans, since in one of her short stories she gives a shout out to Harry.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »
Might use some Snookie, since a couple of my players are fans, since in one of her short stories she gives a shout out to Harry.

I think the story in question was Bacon, in the Strange Brew anthology, featuring Dhalia (an incredibly old vampire) and was hilarious.

Poor Sookie wouldn't last ten minutes in the Dresdenverse.  "Wait, so you've been breaking the Third Law every waking moment since puberty?  Ah.  Okay.  Put on this... special hat and kneel down, I have a cure for that bothersome telepathy right here..."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:50:24 PM by DFJunkie »
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.