Author Topic: The Grey Cloak and Those who wear it.  (Read 5842 times)

Offline Emburii

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The Grey Cloak and Those who wear it.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:43:01 AM »
Yeah, yeah, your Gunna needs more Sword practice!  ;)

Hey, she won that duel!  Besides, when I buy the Spear up to something awesome, that should be all she needs.  :p 
Still, though, the gift is appreciated.  Can't easily go wrong with a Warden's sword, especially if dual-wielding with Gungnir.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 08:04:07 AM »
I've given this some thought myself, since if I ever get to play rather than run Dresden Files, I think I'd want to play a Warden, probably a rookie with the Aspect "W.W.D.D?" (What Would Dresden Do?).

I imagine the average Warden spends a lot of time watching for local magical activity, finding out which "faith healer" is a fraud and which has actual talent, that sort of thing. With the war, their duties probably extended to include keeping an eye on potential supernatural threats such as new hauntings or werewolf rumours.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 04:58:33 AM »
I've given this some thought myself, since if I ever get to play rather than run Dresden Files, I think I'd want to play a Warden, probably a rookie with the Aspect "W.W.D.D?" (What Would Dresden Do?).

I imagine the average Warden spends a lot of time watching for local magical activity, finding out which "faith healer" is a fraud and which has actual talent, that sort of thing. With the war, their duties probably extended to include keeping an eye on potential supernatural threats such as new hauntings or werewolf rumours.

I think good Wardens would always have the duty of policing for supernatural threats; even if they're not to that basic level of altruism, it draws attention to the supernatural community as a whole, which is bad for everyone - but especially for wizards, who are easier to burn at the stake when all their mystic junk turns up then vampires behind flesh masks or faeries who can glamour and vacation in the Nevernever. I'd imagine they actually more time on this pre-war; post-war, their duties likely extend into Nevernever activities and campaigning against the Red Court however possible.

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 02:33:48 AM »
The roll of the warden is an interesting question. Part Magic Cop, Part Para-Military Force. Clearly the Militant arm of the council. What does that translate to in the day to day activity department is something open to discussion. We don't really have a very broad samplying of Wardens in the books. We get Morgan who comes across as a booted Paranoid nut-Job out to get our hero and cut the heads of people at the merlin's whim. Then we get Luccio, who's clearly a heroic figure, saving children, helping our hero, and being one BA lady. Then we have Ramirez a lovable bad ass, who talks a good game, has some cool tricks, a slightly wacky character flaw, and a really nice sword. Even when we get the revised look at Morgan we really only have 2 positive images of wardens, and one slightly less villainous warden.

Theres a lot of discussion that wardens have duties, but we don't really see to much of them on a day to day basis. I don't see the warden's as general enforcers of the accords. But in the end i guess its gotta play your warden how you see it.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 03:21:04 AM »
A wardens job is all of the following rolled up into one:

Cop, Soldier, Diplomat, Teacher, Bounty Hunter, Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
A wardens job is all of the following rolled up into one:

Cop, Soldier, Diplomat, Teacher, Bounty Hunter, Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Kind of like a Knight working for his King. He would do all the above thing in the name of his King (or the White Council).

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
Kind of like a Knight working for his King. He would do all the above thing in the name of his King (or the White Council).

Eh I was hoping for more practical application from this whole discussion. Judge Jury and executioner, isn't a very useful point, it is in effect what happens already in most games, but it doesn't really Help people play their warden's better.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 06:15:36 AM »
Eh I was hoping for more practical application from this whole discussion. Judge Jury and executioner, isn't a very useful point, it is in effect what happens already in most games, but it doesn't really Help people play their warden's better.

I haven't played the DF RPG game but I have played D&D and some other games year ago. I'm guessing you are trying to understand what a Warden is. He represents the WC. He has to set the example. He has to be strong and be able to intimidate those who he believes are about to cross the line to breaking the 7 Laws. He has to protect the interests of the WC and it's allies. Protect mankind from the monsters within certain limits. He will look for and sniff out black magic and use lethal force against those who use black magic. He must be ready to fight and lay down his life to protect the WC, fellow Wardens and allies. He must be able to follow orders of his superiors and be able to lead his lieutenants. He should be able to mentor the newbies.

Offline JDdan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 12:31:47 AM »
A tool that I think is great for generating story hooks (for wardens at least) is the paranet. The whole idea behind it was that if something happens the community passes the word up the vine until Harry or another warden hears of it.

Day to day I expect the life of the typical warden is much like Dresden's. They get a steady paycheck from the Council to keep their ear to the ground and handle the minor supernatural threats that pop up, then report to their Regional Commander on a regular basis. Seems perfectly reasonable to me for a GM to have a NPC from the next county or the Commander call up your warden player and say, "here, this is your problem now". There's always some fire that needs putting out somewhere, and it seems pretty clear that the wardens are expected to hat up and play fireman.

Of course I would think there would be the occasional call to serve at Edinburgh or in the war with the reds too, but these are a larger deal and should be handled as such.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:40:44 AM by JDdan »
Only those with narrow minds fail to see that the definition of impossible is "Lack of imagination and incentive."
-Dune: Butlerian Jihad