Author Topic: Metal evocation?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Krico

• Participant
    • View Profile
Metal evocation?
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
One of the examples in the book for eastern elements lists metal, wood, water, earth, fire, and spirit. If you were to do metal evocation, would it essentially be creating metal out of ectoplasm? Ie. a metal evocation attack summons up metal shards that go flying at someone?

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Re: Metal evocation?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »
From all of Harry's examples and stuff in the books, normally the elements obey the laws of physics (i.e. the air would get dryer with alot of Water evocations taking water out of the air and colder with alot of Fire evocations taking heat out of the air).

Metal to me, is just a specialized form of Earth [magnetism]. Maybe with the ability to shape metal. But if I were a GM, I would not allow it to create metal out of thin air.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
You can also think of it as things to do with metal, making a character better at using things with metal (Like Air Block), or taking on aspects of Metal (ignoring pain), Armor effects, Transforming metals Shape. Thermodynamics + Metal+an Urban Environment == Lots of indirect but power magical attack and/or Collateral Damage.

Offline Shyntar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:46 AM »
Quote from: Metal
The qualities associated with metal are firmness, rigidity, persistence, strength and determination. The metal person is controlling, ambitious, forceful and set in their ways as metal is very strong; and they are self-reliant and prefer to handle their problems alone. The metal person is also materialistic, business oriented and good at organization and stability. However the metal person can also appreciate luxury and enjoy the good things in life. Just as metal can conduct electricity, the Metal person has strong impulses and generative powers and can bring about changes and transformations for those who come into contact with them. Metal governs the Lung and the Large intestine, nose and skin. The negative emotion associated with metal is grief, while the positive emotion is courage.

Seems to me any 'evocating' you try to pull with metal should be a block/shield.  ;)  Though you could make a nice argument for lightning bolts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_elements_(Chinese)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
Think Colossus or Magneto from the X-Men. Carry around bits of metal and then use it as projectiles, as a defensive shield, as impromptu handcuffs so the opponent is bound (and blocked). Hmm... what else...

Disarm opponents (not just disarm but destroy their weapons).
Catch bullets.
Locks are usually made of metal, with a quick spell they suddenly open. Or, with another spell they lock permanently.
Social conflict spells could create aspects like 'Iron mind'.
Carry a bag of iron filings around and you could use it to make small objects, spell out words in the air etc?
There's iron in the blood right? ... :)

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
When you think about it, man made environments are full of metal, House and gadget Wiring, Plumbing, HVAC, concrete re-enforcement bars, car frames, lamps, Telephone line, fences, Guard rails. Changing metal, moving, all can involve heating metal, and that is really pretty cool as well. Metal Evocation could be truly excellent, if ya don't mind a little collateral damage.

Offline Nostri

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
The problem with just saying that your character views magic in line with the Chinese elements (more accurately translated as "movements" then elements actually) is that they aren't just "oh a person in tune with Metal (in this instance) can manipulate Metal" isn't the way it would actually be thought of. The elements in Chinese magic are more symbols of philosophical outlooks almost more then the European alchemical elements (which is where the Fire, Earth, Air, Water thing comes from by the by). They also interact with the other elements differently then the European ones interact with each other. To get a better idea of how they do I'd check out a book on I Ching or Feng Shui in the library or online in wikipedia here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing