Author Topic: So... a change in the shipping date for the DFRPG books.  (Read 40517 times)

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: So... a change in the shipping date for the DFRPG books.
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
I know they are a small company and had a lot of shipments to deal with, but they were able to get the books to Alliance early enough that my FLGS had it before any pre-orders. Why couldn't they have started shipping them to customers at the same time?

Sometimes companies have to make deals with distributors that they won't ship product to customers before it arrives at the distributor.

In other cases it is the shear volume of work involved.

Here is an example for you.  Let us suppose for a second that the minute the books arrived at the publisher's warehouse they started processing orders.  Since distributors often order by the box the easiest orders to process & ship and dealt with first (either whole boxes first or by order size) and those are set out for FED UP* to ship.  Then they work on the next and next until as many orders are shipped as possible that day.  Odds are there may be either 2+ people dealing with orders (a paperwork processor and 1+ distribution people) or one person is doing the whole show.

So, the first day they unload the truck and them maybe process a few orders.  The second day they process all the large orders and start on the smaller orders.  Depending on the number of orders they may still be processing orders 3+ days later and by this time the books have likely hit the distributor and in some cases the books are starting to hit the stores. Well, once that happens the orders coming in increase and if it is but one person he may be answering the phone taking orders, processing orders that came in via the web, talking to distributors about books damaged in shipping, and trying to fill tons of oordinary customer orders at the same time.  Well, eventually, over the course of a number of days, he has taken case of the distributors, has taken care of the preorders, and is still working on all the new orders off and on fairly regularly for the next month or so.

Now comes the wait for the customer.  Books may arrive within 3 days of being shipped or they may not.  They may take 6 days or they may take 1-2 weeks to reach destinations within the lower 48 states (and in some cases reach overseas customers sooner). Now then, having shipped 100+ packages (maybe well over 100 ... possibly WAY over 100) it is likely that at least some have "problems".  Maybe the name is wrong, maybe the address was incorrect, maybe FED UP mangled the package, maybe it got lost, but for whatever reason a certain percentage will be delayed, destroyed, lost, or rerouted.  In my experience it is up to 5% may end up "return to sender", often for a zip code that is one digit off or such.

So, things happen, which is why the old standard of "wait 6-8 weeks for delivery" is still a good adage in my book (and experience) and for anything faster I am grateful!
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
So the lesson here is don't ever pre-order?
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Da_Gut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »
Well I ordered the PDF/Book combo, so I've been busy reading the file. :) Though I have to admit, I can't wait until one of the E-readers does a smash up job with PDF's. When that happens, I'm getting one.

But, read the blog over on Dresden Files rpg.com. Its mostly one poor schmuck handling all this. So buck up, and learn to enjoy the anticipation. Its good for you.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:48 AM »
I kinda disagree with that.

What is the value of a pre-order, if people who don't get the book before you do?
//Sings

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2010, 01:41:32 AM »
The pdfs, duh  ;D

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2010, 01:45:14 AM »
Are available for Store pre-orders - correct?

Like the store ten miles from me.
//Sings

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2010, 02:07:09 AM »
Dunno, all I know is I got the pdfs when I pre-ordered the books the day after they came out. In my opinion at least having the pdfs approximately one month early is worth it even if the books shipped a few days late.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2010, 02:08:39 AM »
So we can agree to disagree then :)
//Sings

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
Arrival scan at my local distribution center this morning. Which means... it'll be on the truck for tomorrow. *sigh*
Was hoping for an earlier surprise.

Everything becomes nail-biting time as my vacation draws near... Finishing car repairs, getting my DFRPG books...
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  You forget the true value of the pre-order.  making SURE you have your copy.   If the local gaming store sold out, where would you be?  Maybe sitting on the curb crying, maybe shaking your fists impotently at God.  Who knows?  it might be a month until that gaming store gets more books.

Pre-ordering a book is like getting your tickets for a movie online - yes it may be SLIGHTLY more inconvenient (service charge, a day or two later arrival date), but you KNOW you are going to be there with your purchase of choice.

Besides - think about where the money is going.  If you buy from the gaming store, it's going to get it's cut.  If you buy from Fred online, he's getting all the profit.  Now, I love my local gaming store and everything, but getting more money in the author's hands will encourage said author to make more and more books. 

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2010, 07:23:10 PM »
UPS who lost my package and then found it 8 days later when I called with my packaging number. Still missing the delivery date of June 25th still snail mailed it changing my delivery date to June 9th.

Lost my package again. Yippee UPS strikes a damn time again.

They are the brown because their service is shit.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:08 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  You forget the true value of the pre-order.  making SURE you have your copy.   If the local gaming store sold out, where would you be?  Maybe sitting on the curb crying, maybe shaking your fists impotently at God. 

Not very likely, my local store still has the damn thing in stock.  I drool over it whenever I'm in, before I go out and cry on the curb because it's been two entire weeks after release and my preorder hasn't even been handed to UPS yet.  Frankly, the bit about being short staffed is nonsense too.  I'll eat my books if a direct order from Evil Hat doesn't make them at least 10% more profit than going through a middle man gaming store.  With at least $15k extra from their preorders they could have called a temp agency and gotten a couple or three people to ship them out within two days.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2010, 12:01:22 AM »
folks? I kinda didn't respond to the last point because there's no reason dragging the forum down by debating it. We have our opinions, I think they have been fully fleshed out, let's just stop the "i'mzor pissed off" VS. "OH NOez! Stop" thing, and just celebrate when we get the books.

I'm certain this is a learning experience about supply and demand, and that it'll be good all around sometime soon.

//Sings

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
Progress... tracking lists as "Out for delivery."
Good thing the wife and kid are home today. :)
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
Progress... tracking lists as "Out for delivery."
Good thing the wife and kid are home today. :)

Sounds like we are both in the same boat and have something to look forward to today.

*goes back to stalking UPS Tracking*
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden