Author Topic: DMing  (Read 1644 times)

Offline mime64

• Participant
    • View Profile
DMing
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:53:42 PM »
Where are you playing? In Their World or your own city?

What are some creative ways of getting the characters together, working as a group?

How well does the game run if people have to run off in pairs or individually?

Offline kustenjaeger

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: DMing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
Greetings

Play is set in and around Southampton, UK.

We took a bit of time to get the group fully operating together - I had one team planning their next moves while sorting out the remaining individual.  It was manageable for short periods - mind you I expect they'll do separate things next time - for some of them their jobs tend to get in the way.  Basically from the backstory everyone had common contacts - except one individual had been wounded/delirious (infected) at the time so didn't remember some of them.

Regards

Edward

Offline austinmonster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
I found that compels are a great way to keep the groups together!  How many times in RPGs can you exercise such control over the choices your PCs make.  Not only can you influence their actions, but they are free to refuse it, thus giving them motivation without taking away free will.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Test-driving a campaign in Toronto (teens are much more forgiving of lapses in continuity...:)) while planning for one in St. Louis.

The tie-in to other characters during character generation seems to hold groups together pretty well, even before you add Compels.  The players are friends in real life, so it seems natural to them that their characters would be friends too.  So, the group plans on where to meet later and then splits up to do stuff.  (In Toronto, while one character was being treated in the ER/hospital for being eviscerated, the others were doing research on what did it and how to stop it...)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
Where are you playing? In Their World or your own city?

What are some creative ways of getting the characters together, working as a group?

How well does the game run if people have to run off in pairs or individually?

First hate term DMing. Means when I look at it dungeon crawling with no creativity to gaming. Just Rollplaying and Hack and Slash. It is best to think Game Mastering or Storytelling the approach is different as the GM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running my game in New Mexico in Modern Day, Albuquerque.

One of the best ways in Dresden Game is the City Creation system. The players and GM build the city together and at least all my players seemed to start working on how the group would work making it part of the background of our city.

I am a White Wolf Storyteller since First Edition Vampire hit the shelves. Getting parties together is easy for me in the Dresden Game. Mutual Enemy, forced by design, etc. Even starting out in a Nightclub (*cough* tavern in D&D terms) can help.

I find even building characters at the same time helps with the group being formed helps/

I find nitches in backgrounds and Dresden forces a background even for the most Roll styled player that thinks backgrounds don't help.

Aspects are another way to do it. Even Guest Staring some of my players even Guest Stared in each other's origins.

My players all decided on their own that they would be Bounty Hunters for the Unseelie Accords. Not what I was expecting but works great with how we all built the city together.

Now you ask about soloing part of a story and if the group breaks up how to handle those instances.

Simple run it. Here is some examples I do:

If Jan The Werewolf is not in the scene because he is off doing a computer hack while Valeria the Wizard and Jack the Kineticmancer have to go meet with Manuel Esteva the local Drug Kingpin/Red Court Vampire. You run the scene. Not that hard. Jan's player  sits back watching the scene while you run it or he goes gets a drink, grabs dinner for the group etc. Most players I know watch to see what happens.

Then when done you run a scene with Jon, maybe while he is hacking. Bear the Agent of the Archangels shows up just before a bunch of ghouls attack. Or maybe Jan and Bear are dating or Jan is secretly in love with Bear (an Aspect Jan Has) that you can run with.

Never had a problem splitting parties. As a White Wolf Storyteller that happens a lot. Just make sure you give everyone good time.

Another thing I do if a solo session or two member team session is to start the next game. I have the player(s) show up earlier that day or show up earlier in the week so I can run the scene with no one there.

Sometimes when I do a solo, I take X-player in the back, lets say the computer hacking Werewolf Jan and tell her some juicy tid bit she discovers through her extensive action. So she holds on with the information as I run Valeria and Jack through their scene with Manuel then tell Jan this is when you found the information (not saying what it is so Val's and Jakc's players do not know) and what do you do now/

Honestly never had an issue splitting up the group in any of my games actually sometimes it helps drive the story better and can cause great roleplaying scenes.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
The game runs pretty well no matter how many ways the party gets split.  The one thing to focus on in that situation is making sure you give everyone's character something to do on screen, so you'll have to remember what each group is trying to do, and rotate at regular intervals which group is "on screen".  I think the key to good GM'ing in this system is to let the players do what they want, and come up with interesting situations based on the direction that the players take things.  Give out a plot related compel every once and a while, so that the players know that there are things happening if they want to get involved, but don't force the issue if they decide they aren't interested in what you have planned. 

One of the more useful and interesting methods of getting the players to work together is to make it so that in order for one PC to accomplish whatever objective he is pursuing, he needs help that another PC is uniquely able to provide (like, maybe the other PC knows a vital piece of information, or maybe the big bad is way too strong for one person to take on alone, so he goes to the other PC's for help).
Lawful Chaotic