Author Topic: Enchanted Item Special Effect Help...  (Read 1473 times)

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Enchanted Item Special Effect Help...
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:06:49 AM »
I'm working on an Enchanted Item. So what I'm thinking in specific is a Medicine Bag that allows you to hit a Spirit. Like, tie it to your staff, and staff can hit a spirit. Or whatever. So pretty much an Enchanted Item that satisfies "The Catch." Possible? Stupid? Breaking? In the rules and I'm just not catchin' on?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Item Special Effect Help...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
Look at the Ghost Dust example in YS to get a feel for that kind of thing.  An enchanted item that can satisfy any catch won't work, but one designed to bypass a specific type of catch, like the one for spirits and such is feasible.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:53 AM »
That's pretty clearly outside the range of a mere enchanted item - consider that satisfying any catch is the major power of the Swords of the Cross, and costs a fate point to use.

Now, something that satisfies certain catches - say, those of native american spirits, or ghosts / undead, or some other category like that - that might be doable.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:41:06 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm going for...like Ghosts and the like. Not satisfying ANY catch at all, but A catch. So A Catch is okay, then ya think?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:43:36 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm going for...like Ghosts and the like. Not satisfying ANY catch at all, but A catch. So A Catch is okay, then ya think?

Absolutely. After all, if there's not some way to bypass a Catch then it might as well not exist.