Author Topic: How would you do this?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How would you do this?
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:02 PM »
Something like Harry's bear belt buckle. Seemed to remove or suppress stress and/or consequences.

Along those same lines, what about a wizard that wants to brew a potion or craft an item that removes mental stress to allow for more spell casting fun? Would you allow an item crafted with a lore of great (+4) to remove four boxes of mental stress?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How would you do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
Use the Reiki spell in a potion or item. It makes one moderate consequence into mild or removes a mild consequence. If you could give it three charges, you could heal from a moderate and a mild consequence once per session.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
Healing Stress is not something the game is designed for, as a rule. It all heals at the end of the scene anyway, though. For Consequence healing, I'd go with Belial666's solution.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:22:56 PM »
Copied from the healing effects thread:

I'd give it a base complexity of the number of stress the consequence in question can absorb and say that, for the duration of the spell, that consequence costs 2 Fate Points to invoke or compel (you only get one FP back from the compel, but if it's a character doing the compel rather than the GM they pay 2). It's still there, you're not healing anything, it just doesn't bother you.

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »
I don't think its possible rules as written, though perhaps the pickme up potion would be a good place to look. I'll have to go re-read the book description of said Belt. You would need some Crazy High lore, to make that kind of effect go down in an enchanted item.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:43 AM »
IIRC when the effects of the buckle wore off Harry was out like a light.  Possibly the belt suppresses (no compels) all consequences for (Lore) scenes, but then inflicts the consequence "Totally Exhausted."  I'm not sure what type of consequence it should be, given that it should last about eight hours, and silly DFRPG consequences are strictly based on scenes and sessions.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »
Something like Harry's bear belt buckle. Seemed to remove or suppress stress and/or consequences.

Along those same lines, what about a wizard that wants to brew a potion or craft an item that removes mental stress to allow for more spell casting fun? Would you allow an item crafted with a lore of great (+4) to remove four boxes of mental stress?

I'd just do the belt as a stack of "I feel full of energy" Aspects.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
Stimulant Potion YS 304.

Possible Change: Remove bit about reducing mental stress for casting evocations (to a minimum of 1).  Add in a +1 bonus to might for the scene.  Maybe allow the effect to end early but you can take one action with a +3 bonus to might.

I forget if the belt refreshed Dresden or just made him stronger?
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
Stimulant Potion YS 304.

Possible Change: Remove bit about reducing mental stress for casting evocations (to a minimum of 1).  Add in a +1 bonus to might for the scene.  Maybe allow the effect to end early but you can take one action with a +3 bonus to might.

I forget if the belt refreshed Dresden or just made him stronger?

the bear belt was a well of stored power that he drew on once when out of gas.   It refilled his tank, he fought on at increased levels (similar to when he's uber pissed or hopped up on super coffee) and then left him completely drained.  Like totally nothing left.   And he was careful not to push himself too hard (like he did in FM with the super coffee).  Maybe throw in an aspect upon use like "balls to the wall" or "F**k subtle" in which the compel is overexcerting yourself with magic cause you FEEL fine but actually aren't?   Or maybe have them make a discipline or conviction role for that?  idk
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline AsaTJ

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
I think I'd actually treat it as the belt buckle being able to act as a "temporary sponsor" for your magic, but the debt you incurred would have to translate into consequences when the effects wore off.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
Id treat it like this

Belt of Stamina: You may call up an extra shift of power when spell casting for no additional mental stress. You may call up three additional shifts of power in exchange for a mild mental consequence. You may call up 5 additional shifts of power in exchange for moderate mental consequence, and finally, you may call up 7 shifts of power in exchange for a severe mental consequence of "Utterly Drained of Magic." This last consequence will get compelled each time you try to cast a spell until the severe consequence has been removed or lowered to a moderate consequence or lower. This benefit lasts for the duration of one scene.