Author Topic: Author Chats?  (Read 17901 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Author Chats?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »
to simple to identify by location as in middle ages?  Sam from YYY for Sam YYY..  or Pam from Foundation Line ZZZ as in Pam ZZZ  or even Pam102 ZZZ  etc  Might help keep the characters straight and their locations in the readers mind.  Simple and easy.  Could have fun with the isolated groups developing their own names or the others getting unique while the isolated keep to names grounded in 2010 for example. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »
to simple to identify by location as in middle ages?  Sam from YYY for Sam YYY..  or Pam from Foundation Line ZZZ as in Pam ZZZ  or even Pam102 ZZZ  etc  Might help keep the characters straight and their locations in the readers mind.  Simple and easy. 

Hits scale issues, though.  You come from a city of a billion people, you do kind of have to specify "no, it's Fred from 93274546 _West_ Pico della Mirandola" and that makes them long enough that you might as well have longer names to begin with.

There's also the issue of: here is a thousand-person mission from Sirius seven hundred and fifty light years  to the Hinder Stars.  Thirty of these people are called Fred and come from Bolshograd.  Precisely how many people in the Hinder Stars will find "Fred the guy from Dorian Grey Street, Bolshograd, Sirius" suitably distinct from "Fred from Bosie Douglas Street, Bolshograd, Sirius" when most of what's in their heads is "OMG travellers from another star" ?

(I have been using "Fred" and "George" as my first two default name fill-ins for examples since I was eight or nine; no reference to our own Iago or to the sodding Weasley Twins is intended. I suspect it came from reading something about the chunk of European history that had rather a lot of monarchs with similar and overlapping full names.  Likewise "Bolshograd" as a rough translation of "big city"._
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
Reminder bump!  Tomorrow, Sunday June 27th, in the Author_Craft chat room at 4pm Eastern, we'll be getting together to discuss all things authorish, including names, software, and whether or not 'authorish' is an appropriate grammatical construction.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
The universe is trying to tell me something.

I'll be there when I can, but we have a big blob of red on the radar screen that's oozing in our direction.  Either that, or it's raspberry jam...  No, no it's definitely a thunderstorm.  Since I'm still on dial-up, I tend to fry modems if I stay connected during t-storms.  Start without me!  I'll be there when this passes.

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
:( I had to bail early!  This is a great idea though.  Thanks.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56:59 AM »
I was there for a bit over 2 hours, and another Sunday chat successfully concluded!  This week, we talked a bit more about writing software, what it does, do we need what it does, how we handle tasks (like keeping notes) that writing software does, and how MS Word is basically like democracy: Its awful, except that it's better than anything else out there.

We also dabbled a bit on the importance of names -- the right ones, the wrong ones, the anathema that is placeholder names -- and briefly touched on RPGs and their impact on writing.  Starbeam gave us a great link to a podcast on that subject, which I reproduce here with no permission from anyone whatsoever: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2010/02/07/writing-excuses-4-5-roleplaying-games-as-a-tool-for-story-telling/

Somewhere in there, we also mentioned the usefulness (or not) of deadlines, daily wordcounts (the motivation and demotivation thereof), and talked a little about how "stupid readers" can make for good beta readers as long as you realize what their stupidity is telling you.  We danced a little with the topic of infodumping and about all we agreed on was that it's bad, but not if it's entertaining at the same time.

We also learned that neurovore is capable of wordcounts of nigh-Chekovian proportions, that Starbeam actually writes by hand and can later understand most of her words, that meh's beta readers think his work is moody and disconnected (which means he's a shoe-in for a Pulitzer one of these days), that Enjorous should expect a call from Tom Clancy after he publishes his latest piece, and that Ink Slinger is single-handedly deforesting the world with all that printing-to-edit.

In closing, I have no idea what anyone's actual genders are, so don't mind the random pronouning.

See you all next Sunday!

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:44 AM »
For the record I am a guy so the pronoun use is correct. Today was a ton of fun and pretty darn productive, I'm managed to achieve my daily word goal :D
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
I don't print to edit until I'm done at least...

And usually after 3 edits I walk away from it.  There's just something about having it on paper in front of me...(and my hubby bought a CASE of printer paper when we needed a ream).  It's wasting money not to use it. :)

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »
It's still wasting trees. :P

meh

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »
It's still wasting trees. :P

Not it she keeps the printouts forever.      Watch Ebay in 10 years.    ;)

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
I do keep my printouts. I have a file box.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2010, 04:12:29 PM »
Don't mind me; I'm just jealous you have stuff TO print out!  And I like the multi-tiered binders.  "Needs to Marinate" made me laugh.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
I'm going to steal it fwiw :D

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »
is this going to be an every sunday thing?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
We've done 2 in a row and we're planning on one next Sunday.