Author Topic: Author Chats?  (Read 17590 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Author Chats?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
Just because I can quote movies after one viewing, read On Writing twice in a row, and went to Borders and did a statistical project to find out the true average number of words on a paperback page doesn't mean I'm a geek!

Nah, a real geek would be somebody who reread On Writing the second time carefully correlating how Stephen King describes his general memory working in the biographical bits with how quickly he revises things after drafting them in the writing-focused bits, in order to compare both with their own working methods.  I remember more and that makes sense of why I need to leave things longer before revising.

Sorry to hear about the food-poisoning, Kali; my sympathies.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
So are we still on for this Sunday? And any ideas on the topic?
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
Kali had mentioned wanting to talk about writing software.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »
Assuming my house does not melt, given the temps lately, I'll be there.  Hadn't planned on any specific topic, though I would, yes, like to get into writing software some more.  If anyone shows up who knows any packages, that'd be keen.  Starbeam's given us a quick-and-dirty of what Scrivner had to offer. Stupid macs! >.<

That said, if anyone has anything in particular they'd like to hash out in a chat format, tell us all!
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »
I'll be there, and I may be bringing a friend that's not from around the board, but she's an AIP like the rest of us.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
Ok Sunday @5est? Hope. To be there.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
I think we're starting again @4 Eastern but last time we were still going strong when I left around 5:30

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
No sweat.  i'll set my alarm for 3 Central then.  Not sure how much time I'll have, but will be fun to gab about writing a bit.  :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 02:38:22 AM »
if we want a notion for topic, I'm doing a fiar bit of thinking about how one picks names for a far-future setting at the moment. (bay name web pages for non-Western cultures are cool.)

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
What cultures have prevailed well in you world ie which from our time have survived into this far future?

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
I have an out-of-state family commitment this Sunday and won't be available to chat (or try to chat, based on what happened last time. :()
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
What cultures have prevailed well in you world ie which from our time have survived into this far future?

There's about as much cultural continuity between then and now as there is between now and two thousand years ago, except distributed slightly differently because on the one hand, they have continuity of media and records  (Large numbers of them think they are still speaking English.) and on the other, there's been a millennium and a half fo separate colonised planets having very limited contacts each with each.  And if a colony ship was launched in 2200 and did not land on its target and thaw out its passengers until 4700, it's had a lot less time for cultural drift than the dates alone suggest.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
I'd play it safe and stick with short, one syllable names when possible, honestly. I don't think the tradition of nicknames can ever go out of style - people are too lazy.  ;)
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
I'd play it safe and stick with short, one syllable names when possible, honestly. I don't think the tradition of nicknames can ever go out of style - people are too lazy.  ;)

One thing that does happen in real life and does not happen enough in SF is some name becoming extremely popular and getting three people in one class at school with the same name and the sorts of nicknames and contractions that develop to work with this; I am aiming to do something of that sort later in this project, though not in the first story in the setting.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »

Also, fionding short, one-syllable names that let you have a cast of dozens who are suitably distinct each from each and are not rude words in any language ? Not easy.