Author Topic: THAT part of the book  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: THAT part of the book
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
No, writer's block can refer to any (mostly mental) reason you're stuck.  You want to move forward, but you can't.  You can't think of how to get your characters out of the situation, you can't think of anything cool, whatever.  All you can do is sit there and stare at what you've done and try to carve more words out of your brain with a melon baller.

THAT part of the book is when you're sure it all sucks and there's no reason to go on, and it should all be chucked in the trash.

I think the key difference is the desire to continue.  ;)
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »
Well, I'm not an author, I'm a programmer.  But I can tell you that "that part" seems to exist in just about any large project.  The part where you've worked on it long enough that you're used to the cool stuff, are just dealing with the flaws, and yet it hasn't come together yet.

I don't know that it's that much of a "worked long enough" thing; I am having a bit of a "the beginning of this, which I have written, sucks, and the ending, which I am trying to figure out, sucks, and I do not think the middle does but only because I've not thought about it much yet" moment on the newest project.

It is really irritating when various priorities need an atypical lot of your attention and you have to leave a new project aside short-term and the new project keeps popping up new ideas and waving at you and jumping up and down saying "look at me".  I could be writing it, but only if I took it out of sleep time and I am underslept as is.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
No, writer's block can refer to any (mostly mental) reason you're stuck.  You want to move forward, but you can't.  You can't think of how to get your characters out of the situation, you can't think of anything cool, whatever.  All you can do is sit there and stare at what you've done and try to carve more words out of your brain with a melon baller.

I seem to be mercifully free of getting this very often compared to many people.

THAT part of the book is when you're sure it all sucks and there's no reason to go on, and it should all be chucked in the trash.

That, OTOH, is a large part of the working on anything, IME.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »
It was funny. ;D  My "runs away crying" thing is usually my jokey response to something I can't refute.  Since I was so positive about the direction my novel was heading and even solicited beta readers in this board, only to have my own negativity derail me (that and a first-reader who couldn't be bothered to plow his way through the entire thing)... I sorta took that post to heart!  I have no defense against it except *runs away crying* because I SHOULD finish it, I should get more than one disinterested opinion, and I should never let one bad opinion turn me against my own work.

And so I say...

SHUT UP! >.<

*runs away crying*

Duly noted. I'll remember it from now on.

Are you one of those people who plots out your books and makes character sheets and stuff? Or do you write from the hip? Plotting things out might help you fill in the gaps.

Oh, and something I've discovered lately is that jogging while thinking about how you're going to write stuff out seems to help me. Maybe it's the endorphin induced haze? But anyway, a repetitive and mundane task can help bolster new ideas.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »
I usually write from the hip, because past experience has taught me that plotting destroys any urge to tell the story.  Like talking about the story with someone.  The minute I've told the story, in however abbreviated a form, the minute I know what the beginning-to-end is and put it down in any form whatsoever, I'm done.  I'm satisfied that the tale's told.

However, this story has me approaching things from a less... "I really wanna tell this cool story" perspective and more from a "how do I write a saleable novel" perspective.  Which has led to plotting things out, but it's been almost no fun to write after a certain point.  Which is probably the other reason I've stopped writing it.  It's no fun anymore.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
Here is to suck days.  And holy crap neurovore. 22000 posts?  Lol
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline kyoryu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »
I don't know that it's that much of a "worked long enough" thing; I am having a bit of a "the beginning of this, which I have written, sucks, and the ending, which I am trying to figure out, sucks, and I do not think the middle does but only because I've not thought about it much yet" moment on the newest project.

It is really irritating when various priorities need an atypical lot of your attention and you have to leave a new project aside short-term and the new project keeps popping up new ideas and waving at you and jumping up and down saying "look at me".  I could be writing it, but only if I took it out of sleep time and I am underslept as is.

I hear ya.  Any large project I've ever worked on, while I was working on it, I thought sucked.

I find the best way to deal with the priority trap is to make an effort to do at least *something* on the project every day, even if it's only 5 minutes.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »
I usually write from the hip, because past experience has taught me that plotting destroys any urge to tell the story.  Like talking about the story with someone.  The minute I've told the story, in however abbreviated a form, the minute I know what the beginning-to-end is and put it down in any form whatsoever, I'm done.  I'm satisfied that the tale's told.

However, this story has me approaching things from a less... "I really wanna tell this cool story" perspective and more from a "how do I write a saleable novel" perspective.  Which has led to plotting things out, but it's been almost no fun to write after a certain point.  Which is probably the other reason I've stopped writing it.  It's no fun anymore.
I get this kinda thing a lot.  I stopped writing my story for a while because I wrote out a bit of an outline/story arc thing.  I got through that by changing my thinking from I already know what's going to happen to thinking that even though I know, I don't know how it all happens, like with the little details, and I have a big tendency to stray and add/subtract stuff as I go.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
Here is to suck days.  And holy crap neurovore. 22000 posts?  Lol

I type faster than I talk.  it adds up.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
I find the best way to deal with the priority trap is to make an effort to do at least *something* on the project every day, even if it's only 5 minutes.

I really can't do this.  It almost always takes me longer than that just to get into a frame of mind where I can write; nine weeks out of ten I get a few solid hours in Friday night, this is just the third weekend in a row I have had visitors.  However, Jean-Baptiste and Canada Day are coming in the next couple of weeks, so i effectively get two extra Friday nights to make up for it.

meh

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
I type faster than I talk.  it adds up.

I *don't* want to know what sort of data plan you have for your mobile.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
I *don't* want to know what sort of data plan you have for your mobile.

I don't do mobile phones; I have relatives who do not understand the concept of "not on call", and not all of them grasp timezones either; people calling at 10 am their time and waking me at 5 am I would rather avoid.

meh

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
I don't do mobile phones; I have relatives who do not understand the concept of "not on call", and not all of them grasp timezones either; people calling at 10 am their time and waking me at 5 am I would rather avoid.

<shrug> It was more intended as a reflection on the venues on where our talking and typing might actually be "scored". 

fwiw, I have relatives in GMT +1, +2, +3, +4 , but they all know I won't answer a mobile.