Author Topic: Name for magic for magic of the autumn/spring courts?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Name for magic for magic of the autumn/spring courts?
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:55:24 AM »
Just wondering what the rest of you are calling this.

I'm calling it Trans-Seelie Magic, going for the implication that it's got elements of what is currently recognized as summer and winter magic.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Name for magic for magic of the autumn/spring courts?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
In my game there isn't such a thing yet, and I doubt it will come up as I'd like to stick to the canon where the courts are concerned. That set aside I think your term of Trans-Seele Magic is pretty damn good. My advice is: don't worry to much about the term. I doubt that the fey call their magic anything. It's just natural for them. The terms Seele and Unseele-Magic in my opinion are man made, because we like to put everything in neat little boxes, even if it doesn't fit.

Thumbs up for Trans-Seele from me. =D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:21:19 AM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
Eh, well, Wild Fae keep popping up in my campaign.  Two of my players have stuff on their character sheets that involves them.  One has a life debt to a Nereid, the other is a third generation Wiccan that knows the true names of a couple of little folk that he uses to get info out of me. 

It is canon that when the summer and winter courts go to war, the wild fae tend to pick sides.  Just for the purposes of our game, the ones that pick sides are the remnants of the old courts that still care what happens.  It makes things easier for the storyteller if I have a name I can put on their magic.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »
I'm playing a former High Sidhe of the Autumn Court in a game.  This is how I've done it.

[-4]Summer (Seelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, fire
[-4]Winter (UnSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, ice
[-4]Autumn (AbSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, earth
[-4]Spring (AdSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch of Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, air

Basically, spring brings summer and thus AdSeelie.  Autumn brings winter, thus AbSeelie.  All of the powers other than fire and ice are also associated with spring and autumn from summer and winter, respectively.  To balance it, fire and ice needed to be replaced.  Since Autumn is typically associated with earthen colors and spring needed a unique element, I just gave them earth and air, respectively.

This comment from John Galt has the best idea for names in my opinion.

Offline ryanroyce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
I just call it Autumn Magic and Spring Magic. ;D
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - Voltaire

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:03:22 PM »
This comment from John Galt has the best idea for names in my opinion.

Well, I think it's a start, but there's improvement to be made there. For one thing, I don't see Autumn as being particularly associated with Earth. Autumn to me is more about the wind and storms. The beginning is still in hurricane season, and even towards the end as the weather changes, it still tends to be windy, with occasional lightning storms, rustling and sometimes igniting the dry leaves.

Spring is more about Earth in my opinion. It's when things emerge from the earth to start growing. The "earth" of Spring is fertile and has the potential for life. Possibly even a "plant" element, since "Ice" isn't really an element either (it's Water in traditional magic, and Harry has produced it with Fire in the past).

For emotions, I think the dominant one of Autumn should be Fear and Celebration. It's a time both of plenty and of anticipation, due to the coming winter. Fetches are defectors from the now-defunct Autumn court. Spring should be about Hope, since it's when life begins anew.

Abseelie and Adseelie make sense though, so I will yoink that.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »

Spring is more about Earth in my opinion. It's when things emerge from the earth to start growing. The "earth" of Spring is fertile and has the potential for life. Possibly even a "plant" element, since "Ice" isn't really an element either (it's Water in traditional magic, and Harry has produced it with Fire in the past).

Also, Mab is queen of air and darkness, so Air would seem to be the appropriate element for winter.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
well being from NH, we get our storms in the spring (rain storms) and Fall is when everything "returns to Earth," as it were...

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
Also, Mab is queen of air and darkness, so Air would seem to be the appropriate element for winter.

They are under the two-party system, at least. If I was expanding it to four courts, I would snip an element from Winter and Summer each like so:

Seelie: Light (Growth, Wildness, Renewal, Fire, Light)
Unseelie: Darkness (Death, Wildness, Slumber, Ice, Darkness)
Abseelie: Air (Entropy, Wildness, Slumber, Frost, Air)
Adseelie: Earth (Birth, Wildness, Renewal, Warmth, Earth)

This gives each court a unique element (and you could make a light/dark/air/earth evocation system for a fae-themed but not Sponsored caster) and a unique effect - only Spring can create, only Winter can destroy, only Autumn can decay, only Summer can grow. Summer and Spring can both warm a room, but you'd have an easier time warming a person with Spring and an easier time throwing a fireball with Summer.