Author Topic: Why Zhayad?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Iryan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Why Zhayad?
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:28:47 PM »
Hello,

as I looked over the website and the downloadable material (like the character sheet), one question arised: Why did they use the Zhayad font? Zhayad is the font of the mages (and demons) in the Dark Eye universe (and obviously inspired by Paracelsus' "Alphabet of the magi" from the 16th century). As far as I know, it has been invented by the TDE authors...

Perhaps I missed something and the font is even older than the TDE universe, could be (but not very likely, as I collect runic scripts for my LARP character and never stumbled upon the font outside the TDE context), but if not, the question is: Why? I don't care about any legal problems (hopefully, there aren't any), I just believe that the font is not a really good choice. Original fonts (like Theban, Alpabet of the magi, etc.) would have been much better, imho, even as I have to admit, that Zhayad looks nicer than, for example, the Alphabet of the Magi...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Zhayad?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
*shrug* Stylistic choice. And, as with ANY stylistic choice, some people aren't going to like it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »
I felt right at home with it... having started playing Pen&Paper Games with The Dark Eye almost 17 (or so) years ago.  ;D

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
<--

I think its beautiful  ;D
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Iryan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
I felt right at home with it... having started playing Pen&Paper Games with The Dark Eye almost 17 (or so) years ago.  ;D

This is the reason why I felt it was strange... I always think of TDE when seeing the font, not of Harry Dresden :-)

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
This is the reason why I felt it was strange... I always think of TDE when seeing the font, not of Harry Dresden :-)

Perhaps Billy is simply a TDE fan as well...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »

One of the problems is that, sooner or later, a cool font is going to be re-used, imitated or even accidentally duplicated - there's a limited number of really nifty-looking fonts, after all. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
Well, the font reminds me too, so i get do get you. :-)
But the DF RPG Books are so totally different from all TDE books i have... No problem forgetting TDE... and the font fits Dresden Files nicely i think.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
maybe they did it, because it looks a lot like enochian characters and sigils an is one of the most "authentic" looking magical fonts available.