Author Topic: Orbius and similar grapple spells  (Read 1314 times)

Offline smoore

• Participant
    • View Profile
Orbius and similar grapple spells
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:38:54 AM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around how Orbius works and after reading it and the grapple rules I have a few questions:

1. Apparently a tag or invoke is not needed like for other grapples?
2. Does the caster have to beat the targets Athletics on the first round to establish the grapple or does the spell just automatically establish the grapple if the control roll was successful?
3. Does the caster have to reroll anything each turn to maintain the grapple?
4. Is there anyway for the target to remove the obstruction before the duration ends?
5. or is it removed if the target wins the Endurance roll once?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Orbius and similar grapple spells
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
1. No, that's clearly covered by it beng a spell that only inflicts 1 Stress per round.
2. No, the Spell is opposed by endurance alone.
3. Not per se, it lasts as long as the Duration states, and each round they roll to avoid damage.
4. Not by default, though a counterspell would almost certainly work, and a Might roll might.
5. Clearly not.

Offline smoore

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »
Thats what I afraid the answers would be. Doesnt it seem like a problem that if taken as a rote   the caster doesnt have to roll at all? I know taking a power 8 rote isnt really likely  but it could be done at a 5 or 6. This seems like a very unfair way to take out a low physical stress opponent, the ones most likely to fail the endurance test anyway.

Why does this spell not get opposed by Athletics but Entaglement does (Which directly refers to this as the same type of spell but with damage)?

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
Well i would say because orbis is not a dodge-able effect you have to out last it or do something to distract the caster and break it or something like that. That being said it is still your game if you think someone should be able to dodge it, make it so.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »
Ah, that's because each spell individually targets a particular Skill, which is often (but not always) Athletics. This one targets Endurance. Just like Earth Stomp targets Might (which is often even meaner than Orbius, really). An appropriate Block (including most defensive spells) can absolutely stop it, and do so easily (since it's only a 3 shift effect sans Duration). What low stress, non-mook, enemies do you have without some sort of magical defense?