Author Topic: Item of Power/Iron man armor  (Read 2666 times)

The Werewolf

Item of Power/Iron man armor
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
what would be the dresden run down of the iron man armor as an item of power?

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Item of Power/Iron man armor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »
Heh.  Which suit of Iron Man armor?

I'm not going to try and put stats on this, but I will say that - more often than not - the Iron Man armor was a plot device and not a static object.  Different versions can/can't fly, can/can't go into space, can/can't maneuver properly underwater, can/can't shoot laser beams/blasters/missiles/machine guns/etcetera, can/can't project force fields...

I'd be very, very tempted to make it some form of armor (which is rather more of an enchanted object), possibly with some animal powers (improved speed, flight, swimming), and Evocation with some severe limitations (...Anything else).

The Werewolf

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
i'll put it like this. my character in my new campaign with my group is trying to build something like the iron man.
i was thinking it would give inhuman speed, inhuman strength, inhuman recovery, supernatural toughness,
catch - (high levels of magic, high tech weaponary, easily accessible),
flight, weapons 1-5, requires power(elec.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:58:15 PM by The Werewolf »

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
what would be the dresden run down of the iron man armor as an item of power?

Ritual, with a focus on crafting.

Each "part" of the armour would be nothing more than an enchanted item.

The gloves would have an attack evocation effect (probably spirit, since it covers the kinetic force aspect), while the boots would grant flying.

Of course, the armour itself would be used as a block, just like Harry's duster (YS303).

Of course, for things that are "always on" you might want to take as actual supernatural powers. Inhuman toughness/strength with the Human Form or Item of Power add-on to reduce the refresh cost.

Heck, maybe just take Modular Abilities with the IoP template, and blammo...the -2 refresh surcharge is gone! So each time you don the armour, you can decide if you wanna be super strong, super fast, super tough, or moderately strong & moderately tough.

Also, with the enchanted items rules the way they are, it actually thematically fits with the Iron Man motif. What I mean by that is, if you need to use an item more times per day than you have allotted uses, take a mental stress hit to use it again. That pretty accurately represents the fact that, after a while, the suit does drain Stark.  Granted, not a perfect representation, but close.

Hope that helps!

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »
Yeah, what they said. It really depends on whether you're a spellcaster or not. If you aren't then Item of Power with 6 points of Modular Abilities or so, plus Armor: 2 or even 3 due to Is What It Is sounds about right.

With Ritual (Crafting) or Thaumaturgy (which would more accurately reflect an actual Tony Stark type character, particularly with a Stunt allowing the use of Craftsmanship instead of Lore for basic effects), then about 4 or so levels of Refinement (and thus 16 Enchanted Item Slots) devoted to the thing and it's powers built as Enchanted Items seems reasonable.

You could combine the two as well, if you like, having it grant, say, 4 points of Modular Abilities AND be 8-16 Enchanted Item Slots (due to two Refinements and Ritual), for a mere -8 Refresh. Of course, that would put almost all your eggs in one basket, but that's not necessarily inappropriate.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:22:35 PM »
wow thats an awesome idea deadman. Quick question on that though i thought only wizards could take refinement multiple times, or is this one of those house-ish rules to fit the character?
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
i'll put it like this. my character in my new campaign with my group is trying to build something like the iron man.

I'll give ya a brief rundown of how I'd run Iron Man. For this exercise, I'll assume an Up to Your Waist-level character. Adjust to fit your game.

7 refresh, 25 skill points.

High Concept: Arcane inventor

Problem/Other aspects: I'll leave it to you. It's your character, after all!

Template: Focused practitioner, YS76-78. Ritual is a must, while channeling is optional. Channeling is still a possibility because Stark thinks ahead. The suit has gizmos that you wouldn't think to have, but he did. So channeling gives us that "I totally have that covered!" angle. I'm gonna leave channeling off for this build, since there is little refresh available.

Skills: I'll use the 3rd skill package for 25 points.

Great (2) - Lore, Endurance
Good (2) - Discipline, Guns (assuming Guns is the skill used for your blaster-hands)
Fair (3) - Conviction, Might, Presence
Average (5) - Resources, Fists, Alertness, Athletics, Contacts

Supernatural Powers:

[-2] Ritual (crafting); this also gives you 4 enchanted item slots.
[+2]Item of Power (magical armor) containing the following:
[-2] Inhuman Strength
[-2] Inhuman Toughness (Armor:1 and 2 extra physical stress boxes) with a +0 catch (IE, not really a catch to speak of)
------
-4 refresh. That leaves 3 refresh to play around with. Maybe take refinement for more enchanted items, or perhaps some stunts.

Enchanted items:
Blast gloves: Weapon:2; 3 uses/session
Flying Boots: 3-shift move as a supplemental action; 2 uses/session
HUD: 3-shift awareness result; 2 uses/session
The fourth slot is given over to making one of the other items more powerful. See YS280 for details on what you can do.

Other options include getting rid of inhuman toughness/strength and just taking refinement. More toys, and more uses per toy! Give the gloves some weapon:3 for melee attacks, and an "armour" item with armour:4, 3/session (that's assuming another slot is dedicated to additional uses).

Just my take.

wow thats an awesome idea deadman. Quick question on that though i thought only wizards could take refinement multiple times, or is this one of those house-ish rules to fit the character?

Per YS182, the ritual supernatural power allows you to "...gain more Item Slots as  one  of  the  options  on  the  Refinement ability  (page  182)—but you  may  only  buy Refinement  for  that  purpose."

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »
Its a mild house rule.  The wizard template is the only one that has options for multiple refinements (sorcerer maxes at two), but the templates are more suggestion than rule.  Giving a focused practitioner multiple refinements for items isn't that bad of an idea.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
Its a mild house rule.  The wizard template is the only one that has options for multiple refinements (sorcerer maxes at two), but the templates are more suggestion than rule.  Giving a focused practitioner multiple refinements for items isn't that bad of an idea.

Uh...no it's not. Like EldritchFire says, Focused Practicioners can have as many as they like...but only for Item Slots. Sorcerers are the only ones with an explicit limitation.

I mean, I guess the template doesn't list Refinement as an option...but since no other Template grants ritual, and Ritual DOES list it as an option, I really don't think this falls outside the domain of the rules as printed. Hell, look at the Raith family in OW as compared to the White Court Vampire Template's limited options. Even the game designers don't stick to them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:37:17 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »
Leave an enchanted item slot or two open for "Potions" aka, the surprise gadgets.

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
does anyone have any iron man armor design ideas? like weapons and whatnot

Fixed. Now check the link below for a list of weapons that might fit in enchanted item slots

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18556.0.html