Author Topic: New FAQ organization  (Read 10885 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: New FAQ organization
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
Honestly I think the "SUBMIT" boards should just go away. Folks have misunderstood and misused the purpose of those boards, as some commenters have noted. I'm fine with keeping the answers sections as is or pruned or transmogrified or whatever Pris wants to do with them. But the questions/submit area is drawing conversation away from other areas of the board where it should be happening. Folks can point us at threads that should be FAQ'd within those existing other areas as it is.  Am I wrong?

Hmm. Should an FAQ section simply contain the answers, or should they have the answers AND a link to the actual post where the question is incontrovertibly answered? I know there are a number of people who aren't satisfied with an answer until they can see with their own eyes the WoJ on the subject.

Maybe split up the FAQ by book/character?

Dunno, just woodshedding here.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »
Cowl with a side order of Kumori!  Tried to go in order, most recent discussion to oldest discussion, by last post in the thread.

Cowl: the misunderstood freedom fighter (Minor changes spoilers)  —Cowl:  Eb, Simon.  Derails to time travel, rerails back to DB.

ID of Kumori? (DB Spoilers)  —Elaine, Martha Liberty, a figment created by Lash, Magaret Le Fay.

Cowl's Identity  —Cowl:  Simon, Simon-turned-Rampire, Kemmler, Future Harry, Cristos, Eb, Batman, Langtry, Klaus the Toymaker, Justin.  —Kumori:  Future Molly, Elaine, Rosanna.

Cowl and Kumori.....Again!  —Cowl:  Future Harry, Injun Joe, Rashid, Eb, Simon, Kemmler, Simon-possessed-by-Kemmler, Cristos.  —Kumori:  Future Molly, Martha Liberty, Mai, Rosanna, Maragaret Le Fay.

Theories on who Cowl and Kumori really are.  —Cowl:  Future Harry, Simon, Kemmler, the Gatekeeper, Eb, LaFortier, Peabody, Injun Joe, Klaus, Langtry, Mac, Larry Fowler, original Merlin, Justin.  —Kumori:  Future Molly, Elaine, Mai, Martha Liberty, Harry's sister, Morgan le Fay, Nimue, Margaret Le Fay.  56 pages, 840 posts, lengthy, has gone over 4 years in the boards.  The greatest hoard out there.

Cowl's Identity (a poll)  —Cowl: Eb, Gatekeeper, Langtry, Simon.  —Kumori:  Elaine, Margaret Le Fay.  Lots of long banter posts.

Cowl  —Cowl:  Simon.  Lots of speculation on the theory.

new info on cowl  —Cowl:  Peabody, Justin, Langtry, Future Harry, Cristos, Kemmler.  —Kumori: Rosanna, Molly.

Could Kumori be Maggie?  —Kumori:  Margaret Le Fay, Rosanna, Mai, Morgan's loved one.

Kumori  —Kumori:  Rosanna, Morgan's loved one.

Who is Cowl? (Poll)  —Cowl:  Simon, Kemmler, Future Harry, Langtry, Injun Joe, Mac.  —Kumori:  Morgan's loved one.

cowl  —Cowl:  Justin, Gatekeeper, Simon, Eb, LaFortier, Langtry, Kemmler.  —Kumori:  Elaine, Mai.

Who is Cowl, exactly?  —Cowl:  Simon, LaFortier, Peabody, Justin, Kemmler, Future Harry.  —Kumori:  Morgan's loved one, Future Molly.

Kumori?  —Kumori:  Elaine, Morgan's loved one.

Cowl and Kumori  —Cowl:  Gatekeeper, Justin.  —Kumori:  Mai.

Okay, so looks like I supersized that order for ya.  Enjoy.  :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:51:17 PM by Myyrdn Eopia »

Offline Papageno

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »
Hmm. Should an FAQ section simply contain the answers, or should they have the answers AND a link to the actual post where the question is incontrovertibly answered? I know there are a number of people who aren't satisfied with an answer until they can see with their own eyes the WoJ on the subject.

Maybe split up the FAQ by book/character?

Dunno, just woodshedding here.

I think the most rigorous way of writing a FAQ is using footnotes1 for the references.

The organization is trickier though, I think it should go by character with a big disclaimer that the FAQ is a spoiler free section: "Enter at your own peril". I thought about using the spoiler tags for the answers, but sometimes the question itself is a spoiler and then you would have a full darkened FAQ which will serve no purpose.

________
1 footnote example.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
I think the most rigorous way of writing a FAQ is using footnotes1 for the references.

The organization is trickier though, I think it should go by character with a big disclaimer that the FAQ is a spoiler free section: "Enter at your own peril". I thought about using the spoiler tags for the answers, but sometimes the question itself is a spoiler and then you would have a full darkened FAQ which will serve no purpose.

________
1 footnote example.

Yup, we've seen footnotes. But I don't see how they'd apply to a FAQ in an online forum, unless you intend to hyperlink with the note.

Oh, and hey, Myyrdn Eopia - outstanding work compiling the Cowl/Kumori discussions!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »
wow Myyr---do you work for the cia?

Oo you are starting to scare me with you thoroughness

;D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
Oh, and hey, Myyrdn Eopia - outstanding work compiling the Cowl/Kumori discussions!

:)

wow Myyr---do you work for the cia?

Oo you are starting to scare me with you thoroughness

;D

Okay, so if I = thorough, and I = CIA, then, I = CIA = Gov't = Thorough?  Does not compute. 

;D

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
I'm with Iago on his last post.

I'm in love with this thread, btw. Work is killing me and FAQs were originally my baby (and my ball that was dropped). You all are making me cry! (In a good way.)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 08:49:19 PM »
I'm with Iago on his last post.

Pris, are you OK with me moving the Submit board contents to their respective Spoiler board sections? I'd like a quorum on this one. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »
Pris, are you OK with me moving the Submit board contents to their respective Spoiler board sections? I'd like a quorum on this one. :)

Yup, go for it!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 05:34:22 PM »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »
Fred Hicks

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
Talking to yourself? *tsk*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 02:15:13 AM »
Well, look who's talking!  You are addicted to talking to *us*.  Maybe not the best idea in the world.  ;D

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
I nominate "how to spell 'athame'" for inclusion in any putative FAQ.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »
If you're going to do that, might as well do the entire list

slate
lara
etc..
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?