Author Topic: Would a frat house have a threshold?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Would a frat house have a threshold?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 05:33:43 AM »
   See. I have a problem with the AT LEAST part. a party frat would have so many strangers drifting through that it would weardown the threshold even if it where only 1.
   And if someone where selling drugs (not an uncommon occurrence), or conducting any form of business out of the frat, then that would destroy the threshold. That is the exact reason that the Sells lakehouse didn't have a threshold. Victor was running his business out of it.
   I agree that most frats would have 1. a superparty frat (or one that a high volume campus drug dealer lived in) wouldn't have any. and MAYBE one or two others per campus would meet the requirements to have higher, but again, they are the exception, not the rule.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 05:51:19 AM »
   Eitherway. I stick by my prior assessment. Your average Frat is a bachelor pad. No more, no less. There are ofcourse shining examples that they can be more than that (as well as examples of them being less), but they are few and far between. The exception, not the rule.
Just curious but has anyone here been in a frat? It seems to me that everyone is assuming that all frats or even most frats are the ones we have seen as examples in the media. It's been my experience that most frats are families and really old ones. Maybe I've just been lucky but it seems to me that everyone's view is skewed by the much more widely seen examples of what a frat shouldn't be.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »
Just curious but has anyone here been in a frat? It seems to me that everyone is assuming that all frats or even most frats are the ones we have seen as examples in the media. It's been my experience that most frats are families and really old ones. Maybe I've just been lucky but it seems to me that everyone's view is skewed by the much more widely seen examples of what a frat shouldn't be.
I've never been in a frat. But I was in a House (as in House Gryffindor). Where I stayed I would say the threshold should be more like what Billy and Georgia's house would be to the Alpha's. I know of at least 3 of them met their now-wives there. Guy I know have been there for more than 10 years - undergrad, postgrad (masters, phd) and then as a lecturer in charge of the house.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear