Author Topic: Magic Impacting Aspects  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Magic Impacting Aspects
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
I've been reading and re-reading the section on magic for a while, and as I am lacking other GMs/Dresden Fans to speak to about this locally, I thought I'd pollute the boards with another post.

The concept is simple: how does Thaumaturgy (or a Death Curse) impact Aspects? I know the description states that you can add temporary Aspects (usually via Consequences), but also states that to impact an Aspect on a more permanent level, one would need to do the equivalent of winning a conflict within one roll.
When this occurs, is an Aspect changed (akin to taking an Extreme Consequence), or is there a more long-term Consequence being inflicted instead?

Just trying to get a bit more clarity in this matter before I start introducing everyone to the game. Thanks for the help!

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Impacting Aspects
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
I would say it would depend on the nature of the change. If you were altering some facet of the individual or their nature, I would go with changing one of the standard aspects (for a more permanent change, of course). If the change is damaging and debilitating, I would go with extreme consequence.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »
To do this, as I mentioned in your other thread, you either inflict an Extreme Consequence, or (depending on the Aspect) use a Maneuver effect plus Duration. The first replaces an existing Aspect. The second semi-permanently adds one.

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 05:55:42 PM »
To do this, as I mentioned in your other thread, you either inflict an Extreme Consequence, or (depending on the Aspect) use a Maneuver effect plus Duration. The first replaces an existing Aspect. The second semi-permanently adds one.

And, of course, the extreme consequence is a "lasting" effect--that is, it doesn't require magic to sustain it, whereas the maneuver-plus-duration is still an active spell that can be sensed, examined with the Sight, dispelled, etc.