Author Topic: Focus items and elements  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Focus items and elements
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
i have a question about foci. i know that they give you control, power, but can you make a focus be able to use multi elements? i might have missed it when i read over that section
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Re: Focus items and elements
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
A focus can be made to work with multiple elements, but there is a limit as to how many bonuses a single item can grant based upon how many items slots you have put into it.

For details, see YS278.

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »
Each element costs separately, so a Rod that grants +1 Offensive Fire Control and +1 Offensive Earth Control is 2 Focus Item Slots, but it's perfectly legal. Check out Evan Montrose's Copper Rod in the Baltimore chapter for an example.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »
K, thank you
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
I've been wondering about this: why would you ever purchase additional focus item slots with a refinement, unless you want the enchanted item slots or just want some nifty magical gadgets?  I mean, a refinement buys you either two specializations or two focus item slots.  Each specialization grants a +1 bonus to either control or power with a given element.  Each focus item slot grants a +1 bonus to either power or control with a given element.  Focus items can be taken away by circumstances, specializations cannot.

True, your specializations have to be set up in skill columns, but that's hardly a limitation, and are capped at your lore, but then so are the bonuses provided by a focus item.  Is the option to purchase focus item slots just there for when you've already met your lore maximum and want that extra bit of power before you can boost lore?
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »
The skill pyramid requirement is quite a limitation, actually. It means that after the +1/+2 level you need 3 more specialties to get to +2/+3, and then 4 more to get to +3/+4. That's 4 levels of Refinement, and nothing to sneeze at. getting an equivalent bonus with Item Slots s about as expensve...but a purely offensive or Defensive bonus or one on a specific Rote is much cheaper.

Also, bear in mind Enchanted Items, which also use Item Sots and are pretty damn awesome.

Offline McConaughey1984

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »
also don't forget you can split up refinement and get 1 specialization + 1 focus item ( in the Harry Billy exchange YS page 182)

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »
The skill pyramid requirement is quite a limitation, actually. It means that after the +1/+2 level you need 3 more specialties to get to +2/+3, and then 4 more to get to +3/+4. That's 4 levels of Refinement, and nothing to sneeze at. getting an equivalent bonus with Item Slots s about as expensve...but a purely offensive or Defensive bonus or one on a specific Rote is much cheaper.

Also, bear in mind Enchanted Items, which also use Item Sots and are pretty damn awesome.

Yeah.  For example:

Offensive [Element] Control focus +4 = one point plus the free focus item slots.  That's pretty cheap.

Getting a +4 in [Element] Control requires a total of 10 in specialization bonuses, so we're looking at a total cost of 5 even with our initial free spec.  Of course, specialization bonuses don't distinguish between offense and defense, so they basically count as 2 focus items...

Specializations essentially get you a wider range of bonuses for the same price, but it's much easier to get just the bonuses that you want with focus items.  Especially if you're not really worried about additional elements.  After your first 2 specializations, the other ones will be coming from additional elements.  Focus items let you specialize cheaply.

That being said, the bonuses stack, so you probably want both.  A wizard has 2 points left over at submerged that he can spend on Refinement.  He can have 6 points of focus with 1 specialization, 5 points of specialization (max specialization bonus =2) and 2 points of focus, or 3 points of specializations (2/1) and 4 in items.  

The first one requires a Lore of 5 to get a maximum bonus of +6.  It also has 8 total bonuses (since specializations count for offense and defense, unlike focus items).  The second one peaks at a mere +4 bonus.  It does offer 12 total in bonuses, but some of those will be in a different element/specialty - only 10 can apply at once.  Of course, this spread does require only a Lore of 2. The final option peaks at 6 with a Lore of 4 (so it provides the same max bonus as number one more with less skill investment).  It packs in 10 points in bonus, all of which can apply at once.  

The mixed strategy generally dominates the focus item heavy strategy, since it has the same cap, needs less Lore to max out, and provides more bonuses in general.  And it spikes higher than the specialization strategy while generally matching it in total applied bonuses at once.  It definitely seems like a strong overall choice.

Focus items can be more useful if you're mixing thaumaturgy bonuses and evocation ones.  Your specialization pyramid for evocations doesn't help with thaumaturgy specializations or vice versa, so it's harder to go both ways.