Poll

How do you handle evocation blocks as defense rolls?

I don't allow evocation blocks to be used in place of defense rolls.
2 (8.7%)
I only allow them if the character spends a fate point.
2 (8.7%)
I allow them if the character has time to prepare his defenses beforehand.
10 (43.5%)
I allow evocation blocks in place of defense rolls.
5 (21.7%)
Other (tell what you do)
0 (0%)
I allow them but the character must sacrifice their next action.
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Blocks instead of defense rolls  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Blocks instead of defense rolls
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
I know in the RPG it says that as written, evocation blocks can't be substituted for defense rolls - though it does give you some wiggle room for your individual group.

I know in the novels there are numerous instances where Harry makes the comment like "this thing is supernaturally fast but not faster than thought" and boom he gets his shield up before something that will obviously have initiative over him.

How would you describe that as happening? He gets his shield spell as a defense or maybe he has already prepared the spell. Thus, the poll. What say you?

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: Blocks instead of defense rolls
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:44:01 PM »
I think I'd let evocation blocks be used instead of regular defence rolls, assuming the caster had time to prepare, like when Harry shakes out his shield bracelet. There's just no way, given how the system works, that he'd be able to bring up a shield when going into a dangerous place and be able to keep it up without using up all his Mental Stress before a fight started.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Or perhaps allow an option where the character can give up their next action in order to bring the shield up?

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
Good point. I've added that as a choice in the poll.

Offline swordsman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »
I'd allow it, if the block were a rote.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:06:18 AM »
I think I'd let evocation blocks be used instead of regular defence rolls, assuming the caster had time to prepare, like when Harry shakes out his shield bracelet. There's just no way, given how the system works, that he'd be able to bring up a shield when going into a dangerous place and be able to keep it up without using up all his Mental Stress before a fight started.

You *could* rule that the stress track clears as the scene transitions from the lead-in to the fight to the actual fight. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:44:30 AM »
I hadn't thought of that, viewing the moments before a conflict starts as a seperate scene.

That has some interesting applications for more drawn-out events. Like, say one character is being interrogated, then his friends burst in and rescue him, then there's a chase to escape. Each of those could be seen as a seperate "scene," and everyone's Stress tracks get re-set between them?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
Potentially? Sure. It depends on how gritty and lethal you want the game to be. The fewer scene-shifts the more gritty and lethal. The game could also be made quite a bit more cinematic and over the top, by something as simple as adding a 'second wind' to everyone, allowing them to take a recovery 'scene' in the middle of every combat (used at their discretion). Blood Drinker and Emotional Vampire would grant an extra.

On the actual thread topic: It'd depend, but I'd probably let them do it at the beginning of combat if they're prepped and paranoid enough...though if they're that paranoid and hair-trigger they'll likely also wind up in trouble due to it fairly often. At least as often as it's useful.

Other than that specific instance, i probably wouldn't allow it. Spellcasters are scary enough as is.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »
Could the times that Harry says "there wasn't time to get the shield up" be justified in game as people ambushing him?  There are plenty of times that Harry is able to call up the shield to deflect something that would normally have initiative on him.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 09:34:24 AM »
I definitely wouldn't allow a spellcaster to do it if he was taken by surprise or if he didn't have time to prepare himself.

Perhaps an option is to take a leaf out of other games and allow characters to delay their actions, or to ready an action before fighting starts? So Harry "shaking out his shield bracelet" is effectively his player readying an action to raise his shield if he's attacked?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
Perhaps an option is to take a leaf out of other games and allow characters to delay their actions, or to ready an action before fighting starts? So Harry "shaking out his shield bracelet" is effectively his player readying an action to raise his shield if he's attacked?

That's more or less what I was talking about, and how I'd handle it.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »
I'd still be inclined to add in that the spellcaster must give up their next action, though. Or rule that it can only be done once per scene. My players seem to like the idea of giving up the character's next action to use a shield spell.

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »
I suggested this on a similar thread a while back and it was not well received; but I don't think I explained it very well. If the idea still offends people then just ignore this post and please don't flame me. :)

This is the hack we are using at our table, it is not RAW.

You can use evocation for a defencive roll *if* you have not already cast an evocation this turn; but you can't cast a block. A block would have duration and would apply to any subsequent attacks and that's too much benefit for being unprepared. We treat it similar to an attack but instead of weapon:x it is parry:x.

If you are defending against a weapon:3 attack then you need 3 shifts (parry:3) to parry it. Your defence is Discipline + 4df. Those 3 shifts (parry:3) are *not* added to you defence roll and they are *not* used as damage if your defence beats the attack.

If you use this option you still get to act when your turn comes up but you can not cast another evocation.

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 07:36:57 AM »
Evocation blocks can already easily exceed other defenses; I don't see why they'd need additional advantages.

An out of turn action that takes up your next action in more narrow circumstances than "Some dude is attacking me" is already a stunt.