Author Topic: Focus/Enchanted items and non-spellslingers  (Read 1505 times)

Offline digital3lf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Focus/Enchanted items and non-spellslingers
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »
In eagerly awaiting my hard copies of these books I've been reading and re-reading the preorder PDF versions and preparing to run a game as soon as my group gives me half a chance to. I'm really excited that most parts of the system look like a perfect fit and I'm very worried that my own Dresdenverse will go over well. One of my concerns, though, is mortal/supernatural balance. That is, mortal characters keeping up with others that are invested heavily with supernatural powers.

Overall, most of the lower cost supernatural powers don't seem to be too much more powerful than regular 'ole stunts, not to mention the downward spiral it can put a power-hungry player in if they take them too far. But, all the better for the plot, I say! But, I notice that spellcasters all get a particular edge that isn't available even to other supernaturals. Magic items!

I really dig how specializations & items flavor the spellcasting types. On the other hand, they are also series of bonuses that are not only given freely with magic (as potent as it is already), but that others don't (generally) have access to. Rather than try to stifle how items work, I'm trying to come up with a way to let non-spellcasters (pure mortal and supernaturals) have a form of "focus items", maybe even enchanted items, for themselves. Ideas would be like a fetish for a shapeshifter, than enhances a skill while in their alternate form; a family heirloom that does something similar for a mortal; or a personal holy symbol for a true believer.

What I'm looking for is ideas on implementation. I was thinking perhaps just giving 1 focus item slot per each amount of refresh spent on stunts/powers (like 1 slot/3 refresh or so?) and/or opening up "refinement" to all characters to purchase a single time for 2 slots. I'm also interested in hearing any pros/cons anyone can think of if this is done. Thanks very much for any feedback!

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Focus/Enchanted items and non-spellslingers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
well for something like this its likely you'll need some trial and error. You could try to open refinement for everybody or you could make something like shapechange grant focus items. Or you could try it through an item of power or some such deal. Maybe as fluff stuff to justify it you could say they have enhanced items- technologicly advance objects that function like focus items but for regular skills. Those are the ideas i'm getting off the top of my head.

But on a side note i'm honestly not sure they are needed. I've played more than a couple sessions already and one of my main players is a pure mortal while two more a spellcasters. Honestly spellcasters dont outshine pure mortals at all. I mean it certainly looks like they will but then you're setting there playing and the wizard says "alright i want to throw an evocation" Okay hits one enemy for 7 shifts total and you take one mental stress. Then the pure mortal pulls out his gun and about half a dozen fate points and says "lets do this." hits a 9 spending only 1 fate point and still having a at least 5 left. The spellcasters arent going to steal the spotlight at all ;D

P.S. My example actually happened at one of my sessions and you should have seen the look on the wizards face lol.

P.P.S. if you just want the characters to have cool magic items give the characters an item of power with refinement put into enchanted item slots. Thats how i make "magic items."
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline digital3lf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »
well for something like this its likely you'll need some trial and error. You could try to open refinement for everybody or you could make something like shapechange grant focus items. Or you could try it through an item of power or some such deal. Maybe as fluff stuff to justify it you could say they have enhanced items- technologicly advance objects that function like focus items but for regular skills. Those are the ideas i'm getting off the top of my head.

But on a side note i'm honestly not sure they are needed. I've played more than a couple sessions already and one of my main players is a pure mortal while two more a spellcasters. Honestly spellcasters dont outshine pure mortals at all. I mean it certainly looks like they will but then you're setting there playing and the wizard says "alright i want to throw an evocation" Okay hits one enemy for 7 shifts total and you take one mental stress. Then the pure mortal pulls out his gun and about half a dozen fate points and says "lets do this." hits a 9 spending only 1 fate point and still having a at least 5 left. The spellcasters arent going to steal the spotlight at all ;D

P.S. My example actually happened at one of my sessions and you should have seen the look on the wizards face lol.

P.P.S. if you just want the characters to have cool magic items give the characters an item of power with refinement put into enchanted item slots. Thats how i make "magic items."

That example is awesome! I'm really hoping to see stuff just like that when a mortal decides to "throw down" with the fate points.

I'm trying to avoid the Item of Power/"magic item" side of things so as to allow pure mortals to access special items without resorting to using magic (even if its through an item). I know it's just a matter of semantics/flavor in the end. High tech monster-killing devices would fit the role perfectly!

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
That example is awesome! I'm really hoping to see stuff just like that when a mortal decides to "throw down" with the fate points.

I'm trying to avoid the Item of Power/"magic item" side of things so as to allow pure mortals to access special items without resorting to using magic (even if its through an item). I know it's just a matter of semantics/flavor in the end. High tech monster-killing devices would fit the role perfectly!

Glad i could help :). On the high tech monster slaying side. One of the characters in my campaign(which is 20 years in the future) has obtained an experimental bio mechanical suit(similar to ironman if you will) that gives him awesome powers. Mechanicaly it functions as an item of power that grants inhuman strength, inhuman speed, and supernatural toughness with the catch of electricity or specially designed bullets. I thought it was awesome when he just came up to me and asked "hey can i try this?"  ;D
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:05:20 AM »
The idea behind the Item of Power is so that mere mortals will have the ability to do supernatural things without being supernatural themselves. All you have to do is creatively interpret the power so that it encompasses things like what you're wanting. You could even add it in as a stunt, since that's what they're for, really.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:15 AM »
The idea behind the Item of Power is so that mere mortals will have the ability to do supernatural things without being supernatural themselves. All you have to do is creatively interpret the power so that it encompasses things like what you're wanting. You could even add it in as a stunt, since that's what they're for, really.

In the stat out other characters - batman, I suggested a stunt that let you take refinement-enchanted items based on resources as "Gadgets". The potion mechanic would work well for his belt-o-stuff.