Author Topic: Supernatural Toughness and The Catch  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Supernatural Toughness and The Catch
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
So under the Catch, it says that if your toughness/recovery only applies to one form of attack, you get a The Catch[+2]

So for my Player's character who is a "Guardian of the Phoenix" Emissary Of Power, I thought that have some extra protection against Fire would be a good bet, so lets see here:

Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch (Only protects against Fire) [+2]

[-2] total is easily doable.

so how does that work?

obviously i understand how the 2 armor applies (only to fire, duh!) but how does the extra stress boxes work as they ONLY are present for fire damage 0.o;; Sorry if this is explained somewhere in the book already, I have issues reading pdfs for long periods of time so i miss lots of stuff and most of what i know ive learned just from skipping around to things i 'need' at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:30:32 PM by Baron Hazard »

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Toughness and The Catch
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
Since its so specific, the catch would rebate 3 points of refresh, and yeah, basically those 2 extra stress boxes are only there to soak up fire related stress.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
ahh has that been updated in the more recent pdfs? the ones i have (i havent downloaded the most recent set) say +2.

I'm just not sure how I would track those stress boxes on the sheet... would they go first/last seems to me like the effectively just become additional armor against fire that way... 0.o
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:35:09 PM by Baron Hazard »

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
I have to ask, why dont you just go with Physical Immunity (Fire) -8, and The Catch (Not Fire) +6. That would be much easier, I think.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
Not that you mention that, I actually looked through physical immunity (the -8 refresh tagged it as a "LOOK AT IT LATER" aspect for me :P) but I think that would indeed help. And Having read that I realize where you get the +3 for before, thanks for the help KOFFEYKID!

Edit: And in beginning to write out a scenario, I've figured out how I would handle the toughness abilities with something like (not fire) so i have some options. Again thanks for the help Koffey.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:11:44 PM by Baron Hazard »

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »
No problem, :D, post up your character when your done so we can all see it? Id like to know how this phoenix thing works out.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
it's actually the concept for one of my player's characters, And I really like where it going, unfortunately I don't plan to sit down and do crunchy mechanical char creation things with it until I have physical copies of the books so like a month and a half or so.

However I'm almost done with the "Guardian Of the Phoenix Template" and Writeup. So that I'll post up when i finish. :)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
So just for completeness, I wanna post a general rule-change I will probably be using for my games on how this works.

Lets say you are approaching someone, to use the example present in this thread with fire resistance:

In the book this would look like this:

0000 (00) Physical Stress.

I personally feel it should look like this:

(00) 0000 Physical Stress.

What's the difference? how does that change the encounter.

Well lets say someone takes 3 stress from regular damage.

00x0 (00) Physical Stress (how'd it look in the book)
(00) 00x0 Physical Stress (How I think it should look)

Next round, the same guy takes 3 stress of Fire Damage.

000x (00) Physical Stress (How'd it look in the book)
(00) x0x0 Physical Stress (How I think it should look)

Now you'll notice in how the book does it, the extra stress at the end of track only exists to fire damage. so what happens when a fire attack pushes him into those extra 2 boxes? say he looks like this:

00xx (x0) Physical Stress, if he takes damage from a normal source of damage how is it applied? as those health levels only exist for fire...

However (00) 0000 seems to make more sense to me, when you get to the end of your stress track you are STILL at the end of your stress track, regardless of whether its fire or not - the only difference is that it requires 3 points of phsyical stress from fire to deal as much damage as a single point of damage from a source like a gun or knife.

did all this make sense? i know im not really explaining it to clearly... I think I may be rambling? If I did make sense what do people think?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:47:46 PM »
That actually makes the extra boxes much less useful, since high-Stress attacks that they apply to will hit boxes that might already be filled from attacks that don't. If you want to make Toughness less powerful go for it, but that doesn't seem to be what you have in mind.