Author Topic: Quick Question about Refinement for Sorcerers  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Quick Question about Refinement for Sorcerers
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:21 AM »
It says your able to take Refinement once for Evocation and once for Thaumaturgy.

Does that mean, unlike Focused Practitioners, you can't take Refinement unlimited times for Focus/Enchantment slots?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question about Refinement for Sorcerers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:39 AM »
I'd say that you could only take it once for Specializations each in Evocation and Thaumaturgy, but can have as many Item refinements as you like. Of course, that's just me.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »
I'd say that you could only take it once for Specializations each in Evocation and Thaumaturgy, but can have as many Item refinements as you like. Of course, that's just me.
I like that option  :P

I've been having a hard time figuring it out because Sells/Shadowman is the only example of a Sorcerer in the series (Which he took his Specs both in Thaumaturgy).

So Two Specs(+4 bonuses from Refinement total) and unlimited Foci/Enchantment, I can live with that.  ;D
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
On the other hand, maintaining foci and enchanted items take a lot of time, focus and energy.

How big a separation do you want between wizards and sorcerers in your game?

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »
My problem with the character is that he was a Focused Practitioner that "trained up" and became a Sorcerer. He's never had formal Wizard training, but he has been taught by other Practitioners and had access to McCoy's book that is usually given to wizard apprentices (it was sold in places like Bock's so I think it would be relatively easy to have a copy). And if you're using energy as the excuse for the enchanted items, well I think it's safe to say a Sorcerer has more "oomph" than a Focused Practitioner.

I'm just a player in the game, I'm building my case in the event it ever becomes an issue. I was hoping Deadman would reply and give his opinion/knowledge because he's, in my opinion, one of the most respected users on the RPG boards.

So, yeah.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:25:54 PM by Mal_Luck »

Offline GoldenH

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
I don't think you need to be 'officially' a wizard in order to use the Wizard template.. if you want to be a Wizard than be a Wizard. If you aren't a Wizard then follow the Sorcerer template.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »
From my point of view, there's three parts to being a Wizard.  There's the mechanical part - which is a matter of training.  There's the strength part - which is a matter of birth and/or sponsorship.  And there's the sociopolitical part.

Harry had two-thirds of the wizard triumvirate before joining the White Council.  He was trained by DuMorne before becoming "official".  His training was completed by McCoy, sure, but it certainly wasn't started by him...  And he was definitely a qualified apprentice if not a full wizard before then.

Elaine is, by most standards, a better wizard than Harry - it's repeatedly mentioned that she has less raw strength but more refinement and control.  Call her better on part "A" (the mechanical bits) and worse on part "B" (raw strength). 
(click to show/hide)
...  But I'd still consider her a Wizard.

Or, consider
(click to show/hide)

Step back from the situation for a moment, and consider the White Council as a guild or union.  My father is a member of no guilds or unions.  By profession, he's a computer scientist working at IBM.  He programs, he designs, he studies, he proposes, all technologically-based.  And yet when working on any house or structure, I'd trust him more than 95% of the contractors and professionals I've ever met for carpentry and electrical work.  He built the front steps (20 years ago), which have survived better than the "professionally" installed steps to the garage.  He built the back deck.  He built the pool's deck.  He installed the french door from the dining room, took a wall out between the dining room and kitchen while re-finishing them, completely remodeled the bathroom including taking out the closet, replacing two doors with one slightly larger one...

You get my point.

You can have all the skills, all the abilities, all the mechanics and strengths of being a Wizard without being a member of "the guild".  The White Council polices magicians, enforces rules and regulations, offers protection, inflicts enemies, conducts treaty negotiations, etcetera, etcetera...  But they're nothing more than the sociopolitical entity that exists surrounding the idea of wizards.  We *know* there are wizards outside the group.