The Dresden Files > DFRPG

Fan License

(1/5) > >>

kalanthros:
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere before - but is there a copy of the Creative Commons Licence somewhere that we can link to/post on our websites in order to denote that anything we "publish" in regards to the RPG (such as our City writeups, characters, etc) is "legit" in some fashion? (And to keep the Sidhe lawyers at bay...) ;)

Edit:  General Jim Butcher Fanfic policy.  Iago's response to this topic -Serack

Jeckel:

--- Quote from: kalanthros on May 14, 2010, 09:49:42 AM ---...a copy of the Creative Commons Licence somewhere that we can link to/post on our websites...
--- End quote ---

Here is some general info about linking to the Creative Commons license that Jim Butcher has release fan fiction under.

If you are wanting to put a link to the Creative Commons license in a web page you can go to the CC License Generator page and pick 'no' to the Allow commercial uses of your work? question and 'yes' to the Allow modifications of your work? question, then go to the bottom of the page and click the Select a License button. It will then give you a page where you can pick the license icon and some other options and then you can copy the generated HTML code for the link.

Here is the text CC provides for the Attribution-Non Commercial license. Prob not properly worded for saying your deriving from a CC licensed work, but it is a place to start.

--- Quote ---This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
--- End quote ---

And just for completeness, here is the direct link to the summary of the license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/

And a direct link to the actual legal code of the full license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/legalcode

*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advise.

Team8Mum:
What is the situation with fan generated material?

I started 'writing some notes' for my con games this year and it has got a bit out of hand - becoming a full city source book of 46K words and 120+ pages...
(and its still not totally finished - I still have to detail the lycanthropes, 2 night clubs and the NPC stats.)

I would kind of like to share this with people, but I don't want to get sued for breaching I.P.
So what do I need to do?
Do I need to clear this with any one? If so who?
How do I distribute it? Is there any where specific I need to put it online, or do people have to mail me for it? (its currently about 3MB,and its not going to get smaller)

Sanctaphrax:
I am not Evil Hat, and I don't know much about copyright law.

However, I'm pretty sure that it would be alright if you were to post it to this board.

In fact, the people here would appreciate it. Or at least I would.

If you're worried about legality, consider that:

1. People make cities on the PbP forum all the time.
2. Evil Hat actively tries to encourage creativity among the fanbase.
3. I've posted an absolutely huge number of stunts and characters to this board, and nobody at Evil Hat has complained.

Team8Mum:

--- Quote from: Sanctaphrax on March 27, 2011, 07:43:26 PM ---Check out the DFRPG Resources Wiki at http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/.

--- End quote ---
ooo... shiny...

sorry, got distracted by your wiki there :)

I think I am going to have to put some thought into how to put this stuff out - originally it was going to be one PDF but that was before it got so big
- and I haven't even started the actually game mechanic stats on the NPC's yet.
And then there are the actual adventures! (at least one of which I have to get written before the end of april as I'm meant to be running it then, and the other 2 are at the start of june.

I may have to do the individual chapters as separate downloadable PDFs to keep the sizes reasonable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version