Author Topic: Couple of High Concepts to bounce off of you  (Read 1637 times)

Offline dwightfry

• Participant
    • View Profile
Couple of High Concepts to bounce off of you
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »
1. White Council Wizard on a Quest - this wizard feels (right or wrong) that  wizards (general) and the Council (specific) should do more in the world with thier power.

2. Expatriot of the White Council - this wizard has broken ties with the council over some dissagreement and left them. He has not broken the Laws.

Any comments would be welcome in helping me decide which i should use for my wizard

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: Couple of High Concepts to bounce off of you
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Expatriot of the White Council seems to be the better choice IMO.  The concept lends itself to friction with the standing power structures of the world (the WC wants him to go away or come back, the Vamps want to use him against the WC, the Fey might have their own plans (ala repeated offers of knighthood)).  His motivations for leaving the council will say alot about how this character plays (since he isn't a Lawbreaker it might be more political...he got stuck with the blame for leaving the portal to Archangle unattended when it wasn't his fault and now he's ostracized because of it).

Lots of story fodder to be had.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »
1. White Council Wizard on a Quest - this wizard feels (right or wrong) that  wizards (general) and the Council (specific) should do more in the world with thier power.

2. Expatriot of the White Council - this wizard has broken ties with the council over some dissagreement and left them. He has not broken the Laws.

Any comments would be welcome in helping me decide which i should use for my wizard

If I had to chose I would go with the first alternative, but I would change it a bit to make it more flexible. The idea of a White Council Wizard who wants to rock the boat is certainly appealing in many ways and has roots in the canon. I can imagine that playing such a PC could be great fun with a lot of conflicts.

I recommend to broaden the High Concept by calling it White Council (Wizard) Rebel. Don't get me wrong... White Council Wizard on a Quest is also good but I personally would go with a bit more flavor.

Concerning you second option: depending on the reason for the break that might be a interesting choice as well. Not much to say here. In my opinion the High Concept is sound although I would make it something like "Former Wizard of the White Council" ... The cause for the break probably makes a good Trouble Aspect too.

... thats an interesting question though: How does the White Council treat Wizards who choose to break away from it's ranks? Do they all get treated like Margret LeFey and put under close observation by the wardens?
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline dwightfry

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys you both have good points. Mulled it over and will be going with the Ex- Council Wizard as the foundation but at the suggestion of my GM may try to do a bit of combining of the two in play.

Again thanks