Author Topic: Am I getting myself too much in over my head?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Nicodemus Archleone

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Asselberghs.dk
Am I getting myself too much in over my head?
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Hi RP Players:)

I am trying to design af White Court vampire. as my PC.
He´s a european version (thus I guess with a different name) of one of the White Court vampires of the Raith fammily.

I am reading on aspects and trying to figure out how they work, I am currently reading the chapter and not done. But as far as I´ve understood Aspects can be objects, persons, something to descripe and define the character.

I know they are supposed to have dual meaning, both up and down side, but this for some reason is difficult for me to figure out.

Most of my Aspects are either just descriptive or negative for my char.

One of them I thought of is "He who walks in front" this is intented to be seen in two ways, one, the guy dosen´t mind walking in front in a fight, take fire and protect his "employer" (he´s a vampire for hire, a vampire twist to someone maybe a bit like Kincaid).
The secound I though of was, my game master could, from this aspect say that some wizard or sorcerrer has send "He who walks behind"  after me for vengence. But then I thought, hey White Court is super fast, super strong (if fed ofc) but still human enough that if you kill him in a conventional way he stays down. So will a White Court have any chance at all of running away from "he who walks behind"?

In the group I am in, if I´ve understood it correctly we are a white council wizard, me as a white court vampire, some sort of warewolf, I presume somthing like billy and gorgia warewolf like. And then an undecided that dosen´t know what he wants to be.
But I am thinking I should not count on the help of the wizard to handle "He who walks behind" even though we are "forced" to work together in the game.

Is "He who walks behind" to big a mouthful for a White Court?

Kind Regards

Nicodemus Archleone

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: Am I getting myself too much in over my head?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
Being an "Outsider" He Who Walks Behind should be enough to scare anyone short of a Senior Council Member.  Without some sort of magical firepower to back him up I think your PC would be asking for a slow and brutal death trying to take him on.

Some Aspects you might consider (being a European WCV):
New to the continent (can be played many different ways including being condescending towards the "colonists", not knowing the social norms, being able to command attention due to being different "those european guys get all the girls who think they sound like Sean Connery"), and driving on the left.
Black sheep of the family similar to the one Thomas has for the Raith family.
My uncle, the prince your family name is associated with a royal family or two, this brings with it some requirements (you must attend certain functions) but brings with it recognition and resources not normally available to the PC.

Think of it as a story and you have to take parts of the story and explain what they mean.  This is how I finally got the handle on Aspects (at least I think I have a handle on them  :D ).

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
Yup, the Walker would be way to much to handle.

But:

Personally i don't think The "He who walks in front" Aspect needs to be interpreted as being chased by "He who walks behind".
Something like that would need to be clearly stated in the aspect as well as in the backstory of the character in my opinon.
And you rally don't need to be so restrictive in creating the "negative" part of the Aspects.

"He Who walks in front" can be compelled nicely without ever thinking of outsiders.
You could also just rephrase your aspect a bit: Maybe Call it "Always Front and Center" wich would have a simmilar effect, but not include the Walker in any way.

*Scratches Head* ...something is off... Ohh, misread your post... I get it now. You want it to be interpreted that way...
Lets see... Like I said, I think the Walker is a bit much to start with.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Asselberghs.dk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
My only point in seeing if a White court could take on "He who walks behind" was to bring in an element for my GM to integrate with the story. But tbh, I thought He who walks behind was a bit much for a vampire and yep you confirmed it:).

One of my other aspects is: "Dammit I should never have accepted that bargain" indicating (i hope if i´ve understood aspects chapter yet) that I´ve made a deal with one of the sidhe and that the creature can still collect a favor of me. So my GM can integrate it if he wants to.

Does it hold up? could that be a real aspect or have I missunderstood or not read far enough yet?

Offline Tzarii

• Conversationalist
  • Always out front yet behind the scenes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
Maybe it's he who walks behind he who walks behind...  But seriously it looks like you are going to have to pay the piper with your layout eventually. 

I am Intell.  I am powered by coffee, rage and despair.  But mostly the first two.

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
One of my other aspects is: "Dammit I should never have accepted that bargain" indicating (i hope if i´ve understood aspects chapter yet) that I´ve made a deal with one of the sidhe and that the creature can still collect a favor of me. So my GM can integrate it if he wants to.

Does it hold up? could that be a real aspect or have I missunderstood or not read far enough yet?

First, I want to just state my amusement at seeing a post asking "have I gotten in over my head?" from Nicodemus Archleone.

Second, make sure your GM understands what you are looking for with that aspect.  If I had to guess I would think that the character had anentire history of unwise bargains - maybe he is too eager to trade open favors for short-term success - and I would compel liberally to continue that trend.   "The man straightens his noose and smiles, placing a tarnished silver coin on the table" - that sort of thing.  Which is great for story and I would love it as a GM if someone did this.  I would totally see that character as making an escalating set of deals to get out of the previous ones, trying desperately to finish before the whole house of cards collapses.

If you want it to be a specific bargain you are regretting, my suggestion would be something more like "Never bargain with a faerie queen" or even "In Titania's Debt".

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Asselberghs.dk
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
Hehe the "Never bargain with a faerie queen" seems like a good one.:) thanks.

I just put it in there, so that my GM could "pool on the fay part of the world" for story line not specifically to be so much in over my head that I could do nothing at all but to be errand boy for Titania or Mab. (according to my story my family does that enough already)