Author Topic: True Viking beserker  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
True Viking beserker
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:35:06 AM »
I've got a player who wants to run a Viking beserker who works for the monoc  company but we don't want to use the lycanthrope template as written.

Right now, I'm thinking inhuman strength and recovery for supernatural powers and Gard's beserker stunt. Not sure on things like human form or the catch. Care to chime in with thoughts and suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:15:05 AM by Tush Hog »

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: True Viking beserker
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:05:17 AM »
Well, if you have the recovery power, you need the Catch. Try to look into things from Norse mythology that might be considered antithetical. Also consider how much of a refund you want the Catch to give. If your player is comfortable with a +0 Catch, you could always go with something like "Fenrir."

Also, for human form, does your player want to be able to have access to the powers all the time or is the player ok having to activate them? If the player wants them all the time, I wouldn't even use human form.

Love the berserker stunt.

Can you give a little more insight into the character's concept?

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:08:11 AM »
well human form is more for shapeshifters so im thinkin thats out. The catch isnt really necassary as you dont have a toughness power. I would say maybe... well inhuman speed seems likely since they are probably fast. Also i would probably think about seeing gun stunts and such. Other than that off the top of my head no idea lol.

P.S. cool idea btw.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:13:39 AM »
The catch isnt really necassary as you dont have a toughness power./quote]
Inhuman Recovery is a Toughness power.

Also, Catch: Only applies when facing more than one opponent. Seriously. That is awesome.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
I've talked to him and I think he wants to have access to the supernatural abilities at all times. So I guess human form is not needed.

Basically, he is a beserker from centuries past returned from valhalla to fight the good fight as a merc for Odin   8)

Of course, Ill be able to compel him to go beserk at the most unfortunate times  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:36:33 AM by Tush Hog »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:08:10 AM »
Mistletoe is a good Norse-themed catch, and it's likely at least +2 to boot.

And yeah, for a berserker, I'd go Gard's stunt, Inhuman Strength, Supernatural Recovery, and maybe Inhuman Toughness if you can afford it.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
With berzerkers I'd lean much more towards toughness than recovery, in the Sagas they're very tough (swords not cutting their skin is their main shtick) but they're not noted for their endurance (they usually pass out/get all weak and useless for a while after the fury ends in the stories see Egil's father and grandfather in Egil's Saga for example).

Another thing to think about with Norse mythology is a lot of the shapeshifters don't actually change their shape they send forth their soul in animal shape while their body stays behind, which would be an interesting twist on some Dresden stuff.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »
Basically, he is a beserker from centuries past returned from valhalla to fight the good fight as a merc for Odin   8)

The word you're looking for is einherjar. Those are the slain who have been taken to Valhalla.

Mistletoe is a good Norse-themed catch, and it's likely at least +2 to boot.

That's very Baldr of you.

Another thoroughly appropriate Catch would be anything wielded by a supernatural woman you have been romantically involved with. Because in Norse myth you never, ever become romantically involved with supernatural women. It just never works out.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »
Id go with:

COST   ABILITY
 -1   Berserker
 -1   No Pain, No Gain
 -4   Supernatural Strength
 -2   Inhuman Speed