Author Topic: Powers for a shapeshifter/knight with sp. magic  (Read 1925 times)

The Werewolf

Powers for a shapeshifter/knight with sp. magic
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
what do you think the powers for a navajo shapeshifter with sponsored magic would be?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Powers for a shapeshifter/knight with sp. magic
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
What kind of shapeshifter is he? Considering PC refresh totals, if he's got Sponsored Magic he's going to probably be limited to a single non-human form in terms of shapeshifting, so his powers will depend alot on what he changes into.

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 10:01:58 PM »
It also depends on the power level and how you do things.  If you are playing in anything less than submerged I would recommend having an Item of power (Spirit Skins are in theme) for the shapeshifting, ot maybe even the SP Magic.  If you want more than one animal form this is almost a necesity even at Submerged.

Sponsered Magic (-4)
Item of power (+2)
True Shapeshifting (-4)
Human Form (+1)
Modular abilities (-4)

this way you can suddenly grow wings if you need to, or grab an inhuman ability when needed.

I Hope this helped, this is the power set I used for my Navajo shapeshifter while testing out various character builds.  Out of curiosity who is your sponsor?

The Werewolf

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:29 AM »
i'm submerged and i have 16 refresh(my gm is beast), also i mean like temporary powers bacause i have a whole counsil of sponsors. so more than one with different element masterys

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:25:13 AM »
With 16 Refresh? If you're willing to spend all of it on our shapeshifting, I treccomend the following:

Sponsored Magic [-4]
True Shapeshifting [-4]
Modular Abilities [-7]

That'll give you 5 points of whatever physical powers you want, as well as whatever Skill Pyramid you like, at least in terms of physical skills, which is plenty for anything up to black bear sized. Bigger will be a bit out of your league to do at full power...but only for now.

Also, you'll be able to assume any human form you desire, which is just plain cool.

The Werewolf

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:39:24 AM »
i have echoes of the beast, human form, true shapeshifting, modular abilities -10, catch +3, and sponsored magic -4. so if a got the item of power +2, i would have that and 11 points in modular abilities. my gm says we have to have atleast 1 refresh to be a player character.

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure the catch only applies to the cost of taking toughness powers with points of modular ability, not to the actual refresh cost.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 03:54:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure the catch only applies to the cost of taking toughness powers with points of modular ability, not to the actual refresh cost.

This.

Aside from that, if your GM allows it that would work fine. Personally, I'd skip Item of Power on the shapeshifting...it's not worth two extra points to have the possibility of losing 11 or so.

Though if you have Great Lore, you could take Item of Power on the Sponsored Magic and have a staff of power that's also all four of your Focus Items. That's worth it.

The Werewolf

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »
i just moved my lore up to great, so that is a very helpful idea. Thanks