Author Topic: Knight of the Cross compel  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Knight of the Cross compel
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »
I was wondering, if I wanted to have one of my players' Knight of the Cross character "just happen" to go jogging past a crime scene, would that count as a compel?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Knight of the Cross compel
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »
No, it would only count as a compel if you use one of their aspects to say that they should investigate the crime scene.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
Only if it causes problems for him. Or he has no choice but to go up and speak to the police about what's going on. Or both.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »
Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure where the rules stood on the way the Knights tend to conveniently show up where they're needed.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
The knights conveniently showing up is handled by the Guide my Hand power, which lets them choose to show up to important events without needing to spend a fate point to justify it.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
Of course! That's brilliant, I didn't even think of that.  :)

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »
I think that your aspects should only be compelled when that cause complications for you.

So the knight just happening to walk by the crime scene is the sort of thing that happens to knights all the time.  But you could compel knight of the cross if the knight had something else he needed to be doing at the time. 

Something like:
Traffic is very bad today, you are running late for work/date/important meeting.  When you get to the blockage, you see (the crime scene).

And the knight can take the compel to stop and investigate.

Or something that the knights do all the time causes him problems, something like:

You are attacked by (minor threat) in an alley.  You are chasing it down when you come running up to (crime scene).  The police look from the (chopped up body) to the crazy man with the sword and you can almost hear the gears in their heads turning.

And the knight could refuse the compel by, say, declaring that he had helped one of the cops on the scene in the past, who convinces the other cops there that he is just a harmless eccentric with a sword, and not the mass murderer they are looking for.